April 2024 firmware update for AudioStream

Mary Beth

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

I am hoping that the issue of updates on phones impacting connectivity disappears when everyone, including typically hearing people, use the same protocol BTLE Audio and Auracast.

It may take some time to get there since there's several sub versions of LE Audio that are more tailored for different applications such as Hearing Access intended for HAs and CIs.

14 hours ago, John F said:

@Kilgary Silly question but is your AudioStream appearing under the BT menu by chance?  When I updated my AudioStreams they were showing here and the sound was fairly bad.  Fast forward a week or so, found my iPhone was having a few more issues than I was aware of.  Meanwhile, I couldn’t get rid of the AudioStreams showing in the BT menu and not showing under the accessibility menu like normal.  I’ve gotten a new phone since, started from scratch and ran through the update process on new phone.  Had the dfu’s show in the menu but deleted those and haven’t had issues since.

Theres always the balance bar in the Audio & Visual menu within the Accessibility stuff you could try moving all the way to whatever side you’re wearing your CI on.

I’d also consider simply talking to MedEl support 1:1 to see if maybe something can help.  

It is not currently in my BT menu.  I slid the balance all the way to the left and I get 0% sound.  Nothing, nada, zilch.  Until I figure out a fix, I'm just going to use my AudioStream for podcasts and use the AudioLink for music.  Not hearing certain instruments when they should be there drives me nuts.  

14 hours ago, John Schulz said:

I think there's an option to reset the Bluetooth in iOS. This sounds like the best next step if upgrading the OS didn't change anything. You may loose your paired devices. It's been a longgggg time since I've use iOS (I like to think I moved to greener pastures but many will contest this 😅).

Edit: Sometimes an update doesn't read configuration files the same and this leads to incorrect behavior. Resetting Bluetooth should remove old config files that may be causing issues.

I'll give this a shot tonight (I keep my AudioStream at home because those things are so delicate).  I reset my network settings yesterday but that didn't do the trick.  Will try resetting all settings tonight.  

8 hours ago, Kilgary said:

I'll give this a shot tonight (I keep my AudioStream at home because those things are so delicate).  I reset my network settings yesterday but that didn't do the trick.  Will try resetting all settings tonight.  

Resetting all settings did not make any impact. 

Contact MedEls 1:1 support @Kilgary.  However it may be an Apple issue as I know there’s quite a few songs which for some reasons, act in the manner you’re describing with hearing devices but not headphones and such.  (Mamas & the Papas ‘Twelve-Thirty’ and some others missing tracks).  Have you tried another music app by chance, too?

11 hours ago, John F said:

Contact MedEls 1:1 support @Kilgary.  However it may be an Apple issue as I know there’s quite a few songs which for some reasons, act in the manner you’re describing with hearing devices but not headphones and such.  (Mamas & the Papas ‘Twelve-Thirty’ and some others missing tracks).  Have you tried another music app by chance, too?

It seems to be a universal issue on my iPhone with iOS 17 because when I pan to the left when playing audio on ANY app, it goes mute. And the Music app works just fine when I stream to the AudioStream via my iPad running iOS 16. 

Example: the song “Sunglasses at Night” by  Corey Hart starts off with very distinct 9 note loop on the synthesizer that alternate on the left and right channels:

duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh

I hear it all as I remember it from my iPad. From my iPhone it’s:

duh-——-duh-——-duh-——-duh-——-duh

I can’t tell you how annoying it is to know what a song SHOULD sound like and then hear half the notes missing. As I am rehabbing with music right now, getting every note into my processor is really important to me. 

@Kilgary, thank you for your patience as we checked in with our product experts. Our product experts mentioned that you can change the stream to make it a mono stream on your phone settings. 

However, it seems from your thread and updates that perhaps the error is occurring via the iOS. We will pass this along to our product experts, as well. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and please continue to provide any further updates. 

Kind Regards 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

@Kilgary, thank you for your patience as we checked in with our product experts. Our product experts mentioned that you can change the stream to make it a mono stream on your phone settings. 

However, it seems from your thread and updates that perhaps the error is occurring via the iOS. We will pass this along to our product experts, as well. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and please continue to provide any further updates. 

Kind Regards 

Thank you. Yes, the mono setting was one of the first things I tried. It had no effect. Resetting all my iPhone settings to factory default had no effect. The only thing that works for me is using it on my iPad which is running iOS 16 vs my iPhone running iOS 17. I sent an email to customer service as well but have not heard back. 

@Kilgary Thanks for the information! Please keep us updated on this.

Kind regards