New CI user, just learning to hear again

marafish

My implant was activated on 14 MAR 2023. I have been switching between the Sonnet and Rondo, working with Hearoes, Angel Sound, and Med-El's ReDi teaching an ear that has not heard anything since a sudden hearing loss over 15 years ago to hear again. The Sonnet seems more powerful but it hurts my ear.  The Rondo is more comfortable but it has fallen a few times. I have been crocheting headbands to get the Sonnet off my ear and plan to use the Rondo when a headband is not appropriate. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @marafish!

I look forward to following your journey.

• Members

@marafish  Nice to meet you!  I'm only a couple months ahead of you on the hearing journey road.  It seems like perhaps you might be SSD (Single-Sided Deaf) too.

The apps that you list are great and helpful.  Have you tried streaming audiobooks or music? 

Hearpeers is a great community and you will find a lot of helpful content by browsing but also feel free to ask if you have questions.  We are all learning and adapting here.

Hello, thanks for the greetings. I have been playing audiobooks on my Kindle Fire and my cell phone. I have a Kindle Unlimited subscription and some books come with the audio.  I am focusing on speech before tackling music.  I listen to opera and classical music which provide a lot information to process. I was thinking of solo harpsichord to start, maybe the Goldberg Variations but I could not find my CD. 

Hi @marafish, I am from Switzerland and estonished, that you have two processors "at ear". Have you the possibility to test them or have you bought them both or got paid from an insurance company? In Switzerland the CI-centers does'nt support the testing of two different processors. This seems to be possible in US, doesn't it? Kind regards, Theo

Hi all,

I was implanted with Med-El synchrony 2  six days ago,  on my right ear, and so far so good.  I qualify for implant on both sides but will be Bimodal for now and see how it goes. I know I have a long way to go, but so looking forward to my Activation day.

Theodor,  since I had my Surgery at Yale New Have Hospital , in New Haven, Connecticut USA, which is a two processor clinic I will be given two processors and

I choose one Rondo 3 and one Sonette 2 and I have 90 days to see what works best for me I can exchange one if I so wish within that time.  Looking forward to using

both and see what is best for my needs.  I use an iPhone and from what I have read on the Med-El group on Facebook seems like AudioStream may work best for me on both

processors.

Look forward to reading and learning from all of my hear peers group.  Have an Awesome rest of the Day. 

I was implanted at Jefferson Hospital in Cherry Hill, NJ.  As Nellie reported for Yale New Haven, I was also given two processors and 90 days to decide if I wanted to continue with both or return one and get a backup for the other device. I find the Sonnet seems to provide better sound than the Rondo. I've had problems wearing both devices. I found some badly made headbands on Amazon which did help a bit. So now I working to create crochet headbands with a pocket for the Sonnet. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations @Nellie!  Wishing you the best on your journey.

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Congratulations @Nellie!  Wishing you the best on your journey.

Thank you, MaryBeth