Auditory training and rehab

jcech344

I haven't found anything that was specific to this important post CI need.  There have been numerous suggestions on how to go about getting the most out of your new CI. Some have referenced established apps. Others with just ways that have worked for them (audio books, CC on movies they know, listening with only their CI on, etc).  The list is long and not always useful with each enough time to learn and see if they work.  Very confusing and at time frustrating.

This is surprising to me since almost every other surgery that replaces a natural function with a "prosthetic" has a reasonably well established rehab program that is means tested and designed to maximize the benefit of the new changes.  There doesn't see to be a well designed program for CIs that has been shown to maximize their benefit.  Rather it seems to be more a community experience approach. Speech therapists' tests identify difficulties and challenges, but seem short on remedies.

It just seems like this process could be improved and made more effective.

Thoughts, suggestions?

I think the problem with making the process effective is what works for one person doesn't for the next. Some of us are lucky enough to enjoy music early while others struggle to just understand speech.

For me I found all of the rehab programs useful. The best for me was real world environments (in person and streaming) and Meludia - I have a real love/hate with that program it can tests my limits and humbles me constantly. My brain seems to enjoy getting pushed to the point of mental fatigue over and over. For me it can be mentally and emotionally taxing to do that so I have to be in the right head space and know that I can just ignore the world for the rest of the day when I go that route. I've also found it useful to tell people that are close to me when I've pushed myself so that they know that I'm not in a good auditory space.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

This varies greatly from person to person as our activation starting points vary greatly as well as our interests.  Matching listening training to our present levels and interests is most effective as it encourages us to practice.

Most everything in the CI journey seems very very individual.

• Like 2

I am only 3 months post activation. I have found audiobooks to be helpful. I usually follow along with a hard copy of the book. For me, the whole rehab thing is a work in progress.. 

Related to this topic is approach used to adjust the mapping. Like with hearing aids it seems that the approach used for CI mapping is to play different frequencies and establish the loudness band that is comfortable. Nothing to check changes in distortion or clarity as far as I can see.  For vision correction the optometrist will make lens corrections (including astigmatism) by going back and forth between different settings so that you can tell them which is better.  From this they are able to determine what prescription is ideal. and it is seldom wrong from my experience.

A question to the group, has anyone gone through a similar process toggling back and forth between maps during a session with the audiologist to see what changes improve comprehensions and clarity ? Does this make sense to do?

• HearPeers Heroes

@jcech344

yes I have compared programs while at the audiologist during programming.  And a big help for me for determining clarity of speech is to do the IOWA phoneme test with the audiologist when making MAPping changes.  I shared information about the IOWA phoneme test here

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@jcech344

yes I have compared programs while at the audiologist during programming.  And a big help for me for determining clarity of speech is to do the IOWA phoneme test with the audiologist when making MAPping changes.  I shared information about the IOWA phoneme test here

Thanks for this Mary Beth.  This is online and I will look this up.  I think part of my frustration is that I don't feel that hearing rehab/re-training is as well organized as in other fields.  I always have the sense that I am discovering what to do on my own, with help and suggestions from you and others on specific questions.  Most of the apps for drills tend to be directed towards children with cartoons and games. 

I have heard that it helps to have someone read words and for me to repeat them.  What words?  What list? How to measure progress?

MED-EL has made a big point about FineHearing and how simulations of sounds (speech, music) are not accurate, especially with FineHearing achieved with their systems.  Honestly, I can't tell.  The simulations with the raspy, gravely and whistle sounds is what I hear.  Am I going about this the right way and making the improvement expected?  I don't know and that bothers me the most.  If I had knee replacement, I would be given a rehab routine with measurable benchmarks. Here??

Sorry to vent.  Appreciate your help

• HearPeers Heroes

@jcech344

Some people like to work with a professional who guides their rehab.  Ask your CI center for recommendations in your area.  There are auditory therapists who work virtually as well.