Cochlear Implant limit

Sahib

Can someone please explain how the cochlear implant limits the amount of electrical signals sent to my ears?

I was asking my audiologist if I would go more deaf by listening to loud music inside my car or at clubs/music festivals. She let me know that I still should avoid it and wear earplugs at those loud events due to the ear drum vibrations. 

In regards to the cochlear implant processors limit, does that mean I hear less than what others do? Does it limit the volume? I never even knew about this limit until the whole music question haha

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sahib

When our audiologists set each electrode at its most comfortable loudness level- or loud but comfortable level- the CI will never deliver a sound louder than that on each electrode.

Recently we were at a sporting event at a large arena with over 18,500 people screaming.  It was loud but comfortable for me.  I did not even have to adjust volume.  Family members with typical acoustic hearing had ringing ears for awhile after the event.

17 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Sahib

When our audiologists set each electrode at its most comfortable loudness level- or loud but comfortable level- the CI will never deliver a sound louder than that on each electrode.

Recently we were at a sporting event at a large arena with over 18,500 people screaming.  It was loud but comfortable for me.  I did not even have to adjust volume.  Family members with typical acoustic hearing had ringing ears for awhile after the event.

Good to know! Thank you for the explanation :)

You (we) should wear ear plugs in loud environments to protect the bones and fine structures of our ears. The concern is the trauma from excessively loud sounds could affect the cochlea.  

Isn’t it funny that we can’t hear anything and have to hope that the ear plugs we buy, work based on someone else’s testimony?!

I heard Loop earplugs were good from my coworker and also seen them many time in instagram ads. 

Regular foam ear plugs from the hardware store are what I use.

Do you think that ear plugs would change our hearing in any way or no? As a CI user, I know that we hear once the processor is attached to telecoil. So that it wouldn’t interrupt anything, but just thought I’d ask to double check. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sahib

I do not have any acoustic hearing so wearing earplugs would not change how anything sounds to me with my CIs.

7 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Sahib

I do not have any acoustic hearing so wearing earplugs would not change how anything sounds to me with my CIs.

@Beth Could you please explain what acoustic hearing is?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sahib

sure.  I hear nothing without my CIs so all of my hearing is from the CI and no hearing just through the typical pathway.