Volume settings on Mapping vs the input device (iPad streaming)

Amy Leach

When I am streaming directly to my CI (activated May 9th) I have the setting to maximum volume on my iPad to do the various Apps like Hearoes and AngelSound.  Sometimes I can feel a light ear popping sensation inside depending on the words (B more than any other).  Can I hurt my CI ear inside by having too much volume when streaming my iPad?  Is there a difference in volume from the internal settings when mapping vs volume set on my iPad.  What i am trying to figure out is, “is it better to have the mapping volume increased so I don’t use the max volume on the device I am streaming to my CI?”…..or is it all the same difference?  

Also I hear better from the direct streaming than when my processor microphone is picking up sound.  Is that something that mapping can help?  I go back in a few weeks for 3rd mapping since activation (i am almost at 5 weeks).

Thank you for the help in understanding.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great questions and we just talked about this during our GoogleMeet on Sunday!

Your MAP is set with maximum volume limits for each electrode.  That’s the loud but comfortable part of the programming process.  If you set that correctly nothing will ever be too loud nor uncomfortable.  Even when you use a max volume on your iPad or attend a loud concert in an arena.  If you find loud situations are too loud and are actually uncomfortable, talk with your audiologist about it.

Streamed audio and direct audio input via cables is an easier sound than audio that travels through the air and into our processor mics.  So it is very common for people to report that things sound better when streaming or using direct audio input.  Since most of the time we will actually be listening with our processor mics in our everyday lives, I always recommend that we do some training via those mics and not streaming.

With an ideal MAP, we should not need to use the maximum volume on any device.  So mention this to your audiologist (that you need to set your iPad on max volume) and see what she says.

Mary Beth, thank you so much that was very helpful.  I can’t wait for my next mapping session in a few weeks.  All is still going very well and my word recognition is very high.  So long as my conversations don’t include “Serb” and “Serve” I will do just fine.  Last night my CI saved my  small dog’s life.  She was in the back of the house choking on a whole peanut in the shell that a squirrel dropped into our yard.  I would not have heard her before my CI!

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh my!!!  That is a fabulous WOW moment.  Scary but fabulous! @Amy Leach