Pre/post-operative supplements

Leblisa

Online, I stumbled upon a list of supplements that Angelina Jolie's surgical team had her use before/after surgery to enhance her tissue healing.

With my surgery coming up in 5 days, I think I'll do some of them. Here's some of what they said:

Vit C, Multi and Zinc - daily for one week before and one week after surgery to enhance wound healing.

To reduce risk of infection use Hibiclens soap to scrub the area daily for 3 days prior to surgery (I'll be sure to clean my head extra-well that morning, at least).

To reduce postoperative nausea take Emend the night before surgery.

Arnica Forte to reduce postoperative swelling, 2 capsules daily x 7 days starting the day prior to surgery.

To help eliminate anesthesia from the system: Exchem beginning day before surgery and then another 7 days.

There was more but not really applicable to CI surgery (as opposed to mastectomy/reconstruction surgery).

Any thoughts???

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa, having been through numerous surgeries, I would suggest discussing this at your pre-op appointment to ensure there is no conflict. Before both my hips and my cochlear implant I had to be off a couple of medications two weeks prior to the surgery.

Probably not a bad idea.

The only med they said anything about to me was, no aspirin or ibuprofen for one week prior.

I fully plan on taking my daily maintenance meds right up to DOS but maybe I should email my doc to be sure.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa I must agree, I don't know that it would be very wise to start anything new, close to a surgery without dicussing at length with your surgical team.

I am an ultramarathon runner and one big rule we try to follow is not to to try anything at all new the day of the race because you dont know how your body is going to respond. I think this applies

• HearPeers Heroes

I can partially comment this post.

At first I have to say that medical doctors do not have education from the field of herbal and homeopathic medicine so it is not possible to comment it clearly. Surgeon as well as anaesthesiologist will probably say no to - Arnica which is good for local application but for oral taking...

I have found data that arnica actually increase postoperative bleeding.

Vitamins are ok - they can not hurt if are taken in proposed dosage.

You guys are right; doing something different right before surgery isn't a good idea.

I have been trying to remember to take a multi and a Zinc with dinner but am not always successful.

I did buy Arnica gel and may use it around the incision once sutures are out if icing isn't doing the trick to get swelling down.