Redi

pdk

So who has tried the new medel redi app?

In just a short try I failed the Ling 6 test with mm and oo and have to contact my audiologist and when trying words beginning with Z,  I could not understand one of the words at all.

I find the way the word plus noise suddenly being played difficult   I would prefer the noise played continuously which would allow you to use Bluetooth as well. At present streaming switches on and off again making it even more challenging. 

I must also read the instructions the help was not very helpful.

However once I have figured out how it works I think it will be a great app.

Well done med El.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes I have played with a few courses on it.

I was so pleased that I could choose "Australian English", this makes the vowels sound proper for me!!

I liked the overall layout, simple and clear and easy to navigate.

Also I was happy that on the highest levels I could all the exercises 100%. So I guess I still don't have to do formal rehab anymore, which is reassuring after 5+ years 😊

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started seeing a speech therapist who specializes in CI patients, because I felt I was trying to learn how to rehab on my own too much (see my post under rehab).  After activation I was given a few apps to use with Hearoes being the best, but felt I needed more direction and help in areas that still proved difficult.  As part of the program my Speech therapist had me download ReDi and I was surprised to see that it was a Med-EL product, and I was completely unaware of it.  No announcement or notification.

Having downloaded it I was surprised to see there are no instructions on how to use it.  Is this available somewhere? 

@jcech344 If you click on “Start” then click on a course there’s a brief description of what to do in that course before clicking to begin. Then there’s brief instructions before starting the audio.

When I first downloaded it three years ago, it hadn’t been updated recently and there didn’t have a good user interface but recent updates seems to have improved it by a lot. There also wasn’t that many courses/activities like there are now. I haven’t recently tried any of the courses but might give it a whirl to see how far I’ve come.

• Like 2

• Members

I agree with @Lauren - I gave it a good try 6 to 12 months ago and it seems much improved. Back then it seemed like it required signing in again on a repeated basis and couldn't remember me from "session to session".  It was slow loading and had lots of extra taps required.  Just a lot of friction when I want to focus on doing practice.

These problems are better.  I tried the day of the week exercise - picked at random to see what it was like.

Quick comments on the new version.

• Still no progress indicator.  It shows some qualitative measure of how I'm doing but no clear idea of how many exercises I have left.  (4/7 or shaded bar).
  • When I pick a word, and get it right, it could pause for a moment and automatically take me to the next word.  If I get it wrong, give me a chance to replay. 
  • Switching to a new word does a screen load.  Seems like a couple seconds.  The only difference is a set of 7 words.  This should essentially be instantaneous transition.  Just go ahead and preload all 7 words before starting the exercise. 
  • The "wrong word mechanics" seems odd.  I picked a wrong word and it essentially briefly showed a red box and then it looks like I moved on to the next word but it is the same one again.  It just reordered the choices and gave me the same word again.  I prefer how Hearoes does a wrong word in some exercises where I can play the right and wrong word repeatedly to try to listen for the difference. Early on in rehab, I would sometimes click them 10 or 20 try to pick up the distinction between them.  Case in point-"tin" vs. "tim" is my kryptonite-I still struggle with my own name!)
  • In the exercise, I would like to have a way of changing it up, (adding noise, changing the voice, etc. but maybe that is meant for "higher levels" to be done automatically.
  • When it moves to the new word, it should automatically play it once. Why make the user click on the play button - this is not a value-added step? The exercise is not timed and it allows for replaying so just play it to start rather than require another tap.

Frankly, user testing where they spend a full hour would highlight the friction.  Focusing on being more friction free would help do at least 50% more exercises in an hour.  It may not be possible to get to be as fast as Word Success or Bend My Ear but that would be a target to aim for.  (Hearoes does a nice job of hiding some of the load times, sometimes with trivia notes - a classic Disney move, distract people waiting in line for a ride!)

On the positive side:

• Again, faster in loading and has not asked me to log in after not using it for weeks.
  • It does some seem like a rich collection and variety of activities. 
  • Like the progress tracker.  (I had zero progress in the last week and a little in the past year - consistent with what I expected.)

Just my quick review but I've spent a lot of time on a lot of other practice apps, including the ones from @pdk!  ReDi seems to now be competitive with the other apps and I may try to give it more thoughtful time later.

Please try advanced family 12 words beginning with z. I cannot make out a short word sounding like zip. The test also starts repeating words already heard. All other words are very clear . I will definitely try some more tests.