Does the XT version resolve the static issues the original had?

John Schulz

@MED-EL Moderator

Generally, the original version produced static even when using the aux connection. Part of that may have been the processor design's fault too. Either way, there were two scenarios that made the static/interference profoundly worse.

First was when using the streaming via Bluetooth instead of aux. Part of that may have been the compression of the mSBC (or similar) codec but I suspect it was a hardware/firmware issue too.

Second scenario is when the charging the AudioLink where the data lines of the USB connection were connected. This would produce a whine/hum.

What improvements have been made in this regard?

Hi @John Schulz, thank you for the feedback regarding experiencing static in different scenarios. The AudioLink XT is using the ASHA protocol which provides better audio streaming quality. 

Kind regards, Barbara 

14 minutes ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi @John Schulz, thank you for the feedback regarding experiencing static in different scenarios. The AudioLink XT is using the ASHA protocol which provides better audio streaming quality. 

Kind regards, Barbara 

Hi Barbara,

I assume this implies that this will not be be answered until closer to launch or once users in other countries have it? I appreciate that the XT will have better streaming but that doesn't answer the static questions, especially the charging whine.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2024 at 5:13 PM, John Schulz said:

Hi Barbara,

I assume this implies that this will not be be answered until closer to launch or once users in other countries have it? I appreciate that the XT will have better streaming but that doesn't answer the static questions, especially the charging whine.

Thank you.

@John Schulz with SONNET 3's new streaming, the static should be resolved and/or improved. Additionally, we've reported the charging whine to our product experts here at MED-EL HQ. Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. 

Kind Regards 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

@John Schulz with SONNET 3's new streaming, the static should be resolved and/or improved. Additionally, we've reported the charging whine to our product experts here at MED-EL HQ. Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. 

Kind Regards 

I mean, not everybody’s going to be eligible to upgrade to the Sonnet 3 for quite a few years so it’d make sense to find out if the static persists with the Sonnet 2 and such.  If this is something that can be looked into that’d be more useful for folks to know unless MedEl is trying to get everybody to upgrade to the Sonnet 3 now…somehow.

• Like 1