Let’s talk about telecoil

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I presently use telecoil everyday for streaming through the Artone 3 BT neckloop with my Sonnet processors.

Sonnet 3 does not have a built in telecoil.

And this is perfectly fine by me.  Smile

I respect that others may feel differently.

For me, I will gladly use the built in direct BTLE streaming of the Sonnet 3.  It offers great sound quality, separate left/right instrumental tracks, no need for having a charged device at the ready, long streaming hours, no electromagnetic interference, and my MOST favorite feature…. the ability to have a 100/0 streamed audio only program set by an audiologist!!!  Yay!  I also look forward to user control of the mix ratio in an app which Med-El mentioned in the forum already.

So I am fine with Sonnet 3 not having a built in telecoil and I am thankful that Med-El provided a way for us to access telecoil through the AudioLinkXT.

Having the telecoil in the AudioLinkXT opens up lots of possibilities …..

1) Sonnet 3 users can access telecoil when desired

2) Rondo 3 users can access telecoil when desired without needing to deal with flight mode to avoid a ticking issue. (This requires that the Rondo 3 has the AudioStream adapter attached.)

3) People using one hearing aid and one Med-El CI can now access telecoil in both EVEN IF their hearing aid does not have a telecoil.  Their hearing aid just needs to offer ASHA streaming compatibility.  This is actually huge because hearing aids no longer routinely come with telecoils.  How this works is….. telecoil in the AudioLink XT picks up the telecoil audio and then the AudioLink XT sends that audio to both the HA and the CI processor through the ASHA protocol.  Requirements are… hearing aid must be ASHA compatible and if using Sonnet/Sonnet2/Rondo3- AudioStream/AudioStream adapter must be used.

I always love it when new tech opens up more options for users.  

• Like 2

@Mary BethHi! what do you mean with "the ability to have a 100/0 streamed audio only program set by an audiologist"??

I'm a bit confused...

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rossy Robotina

When I stream audiobooks while doing other things I like to block out all environmental sounds and only hear the streamed audiobook.  This is a 100/0 ratio (100% of sound from the streamed audio and 0% of sound from the Sonnet mics).

With Sonnet/Sonnet 2 this is not possible while using the AudioStream cover.

With Sonnet 3 this is possible.  Smile.  Our audiologists can set a program for streamed audio only (Sonnet 3 mics muted).  They do this in the programming software.  So then by moving into this program when desired we can get streamed audio only.

Med-El also mentioned a future feature of the app which will allow us to control the mix on the go.  I have not seen details about that yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Rossy Robotina

When I stream audiobooks while doing other things I like to block out all environmental sounds and only hear the streamed audiobook.  This is a 100/0 ratio (100% of sound from the streamed audio and 0% of sound from the Sonnet mics).

With Sonnet/Sonnet 2 this is not possible while using the AudioStream cover.

With Sonnet 3 this is possible.  Smile.  Our audiologists can set a program for streamed audio only (Sonnet 3 mics muted).  They do this in the programming software.  So then by moving into this program when desired we can get streamed audio only.

Med-El also mentioned a future feature of the app which will allow us to control the mix on the go.  I have not seen details about that yet.

Ohhhh gotcha!! Thank you for explaining!

In my case, I like to use both (blocked external sounds/ unblocked). For example, If I watch movies in my phone, I like all external sounds blocked since I like to be in silence while watching movies; but for phone calls, lately, I've been streaming with external sounds on and it works... (Note that I only have audiolink, I don't have Audiostream and never have had the chance to try them). 

If we have a program (in sonnet3 mics muted) it will be possible to do streaming with mics unmuted? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rossy Robotina

Yes very possible and quite easy to have set up by our audiologists.

I also like having both streamed and environmental mics active for phone calls.

And streamed audio only when I wish to block out all environmental sounds.

Right now this is only possible using the mix control of AudioLink or using a BT neckloop like Artone and selecting T/MT.

With Sonnet 3 we can have both options in different program slots.  We can change programs by using the sensor button on the actual Sonnet 3 or by using the app to switch programs.