Televisions

Sandy

• HearPeers Heroes

When I purchased my flat screen TV last year prior to getting my CI, the sales person recommended LCD because of the quality of the speakers. Now that I've had my CI the sound quality is very high pitched and I find it hard to listen with the squeaking. I have been able to hear on other TVs. With my next mapping coming up, I was wondering how to approach this with my audiologist. Any suggestions?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy have you tried to adjust the volume settings on the tv yourself? any difference?

short of bringing in your tv, maybe find a channel that you have particular trouble with and videotape a few seconds so your audi can hear it. she might be able to pick out some frequencies that are a little on the  high side.

Sandy, from reading somewhere about high pitch problem, they had to cut out one of the electrode in the high frequency area. You should email your audiologist to let them know about your situation before you go in for your appointment.

I will be going in for my activation on July 31.  Also the cochlear picnic has been postpone until early fall.

I started working yesterday, 2 weeks after my surgery and it is sure the worst time in this hot humid weather. Temp in 30 C Plus 95 % Humidity, tomorrow 100 % humidity.  Also Toronto had 126 mm of rain in 2 hours, big flood in the city.

Brian

• HearPeers Heroes

Brian I believe that is electrode #12 they actually had to lower that one quite a bit for me and gradually turn it up because I was not used to the high frequency. From what I understand, this is not unusual. What has me puzzled is if I am understanding correctly, the only issue she has is with one tv.

Sandy, I would touch base with your audi to see if they can troubleshoot before your map. Let us know how it goes.

Brian good luck on your activation and try to stay dry.

Thanks Adam,

I believe that she had mention somewhere else, she was having trouble with high pitch for a while. What you have describe is probably what she needed to know.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks guys. I will send an email to my audiologist and see if she can troubleshoot before I go down there. I also think there was a post regarding music and using one of the programs to set it up. I really miss listening to old time rock and roll.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, you sure you're not just watching Alvin and the Chipmunks?

Sandy, the program for music is called FSP. Ask your audi about it. If Matt's friends, Alvin and the Chipmunks are too much with you, go listen to "Monster Mash" by Bobby Pickett or better yet, "

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly!!!!! Remember, your brain (melon, or melon d'eau) is still adjusting to electrical stimulation for hearing.

good luck and happy hearing.  John

Have you fiddled around with the sound controls within the main menu yet?  I would assume that the factory default would certainly not sound like high-pitch problems but you never know...

Also - FYI, I would NEVER buy a TV based off of it's "clear sounding speakers."  Today's TVs are slimmer and more compact than they were 15 years ago and integrated speakers in TVs are becoming a thing of the past.  I would purchase a TV based off of the picture quality and other picture-related features and then invest in a good-quality "sound bar" to hook up to the TV.  You can't always find "that one thing" that has the best of both worlds but today's TV industry sure lets you match up a lot of high-quality selections.

Good luck either way you go!

• HearPeers Heroes

Just wanted to let you know I touched base with my audiologist today and she is going to install the FSP program for me next week. She suggested going back to the previous mapping as well but I think I would also like to experiment with electrode #12. Regarding the tv I have tried changing the settings on the main menu, also volume control but with no success. The high pitched noise doesn't go away. Will persevere and will let you know the results after my mapping next Tuesday. Oh yeah, I went to a kids' birthday party last weekend, 10 six year olds having fun! It was an experience.

• HearPeers Heroes

10 six year olds - you're brave.

I'm looking at the Bose Solo TV Sound System - it's a speaker that your TV sits on and plugs into. I have listened to Bose equipment before and I was amazed at the quality and clarity of the sound.

• HearPeers Heroes

10 six year olds - you're brave.

I'm looking at the Bose Solo TV Sound System - it's a speaker that your TV sits on and plugs into. I have listened to Bose equipment before and I was amazed at the quality and clarity of the sound.

Welcome to the club of right-believer Matt ;) - have their system in my car, love it. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, I will check it out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Matt, I have been interested to check out Bose. Let me know what you purchased from them and how you like it. I know they are pricey though. Is the quality worht the price tag?

Adam, Bose quality is unsurpassed.  I own a set of Bose 501 speakers we bought in 1986 and also a set of Bose 301 bookshelf speakers. Plus I have their noise cancelling Quiet Comfort 15 headphones.

• HearPeers Heroes

What do you think of the headphones? How do they fit around the Opus 2's?

Adam, there are no issues with the head[hones and the OPII.  The ear cups are big enough, thanks to the smallest. lightest weight processors on the market.  However, I now use the Direct audio Input, "red" cable instead as they block around 90% of the ambient noise. yrmv.

• HearPeers Heroes

Awesome! so not only do you get awesome sound, you do it looking like Princess Leia

• HearPeers Heroes

Just checked on line and the Bose solo TV sound system is $450.

• HearPeers Heroes

ouch!! Oh well. My ipod shuffle and direct connect work pretty darn well.

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe there are more great audio systems - Bose is only one of them...

• HearPeers Heroes

John I have no doubt that you are in touch with your inner self. I can hear the conversations now.