Wow - residual hearing!

Leblisa

I don't know why I didn't try this before now, but I asked my son to put a really loud song on his ipod and turn the volume ALL the way up and put a bud in my CI-implanted ear.... and I could hear something!

It's not enough to be even remotely functional (I can't try my old HA because it's been sent back to the manufacturer for some repairs before it will be reprogrammed for my left ear), but I think it's so cool that I have some natural hearing left in my implanted ear.  It's thanks to Med-El's flexible array and my surgeon's skill.

Cool.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa that is pretty cool!! I tried in my ears even though i was told before my implant surgery that there was no residual hearing left in my left ear due to a previous surgery. I tried anyway and it turned out they were right. :o)

• HearPeers Heroes

That's cool Lisa. The only sound I could hear after my surgery and before activation was my own voice and I don't know but does that count?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy that counts. if you can hear i so can whoever you are talking too.

• HearPeers Heroes

I hardly had any hearing in my implanted ear but lost it when implanted.

It is the main factor influencing my decision to go bilateral - there's not much left in the other ear but I like having some natural hearing.

Lisa, thank you for your post!!  I have a LITTLE residual hearing in my right ear and use a hearing aid, but I get little from it.  When I was implanted 3 years ago in my left ear the little bit of residual hearing I had was gone after the implant.  Now I am very seriously considering an implant on my right ear and have wondered about the success of the new array to preserve residual hearing.  I am encouraged!!!!

Camille,

If you are doing well with the one CI and get very little benefit from the other HA, I say: go bilateral!

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa,

I have heard this A LOT in that if a person has a little residual hearing even if it really does them no good, getting that second CI seems to be a pretty difficult decision.

I actually had my "good" ear done first. I wasnt getting much use out of it and it had hearing longer. That was my thinking, which makes totally no sense  but that is what we did. it was a little quieter for a while but that was about it. 6 weeks later ear number two got it. I don't know if it really matters which ear gets done first. In the end you will be hearing out of both of them. Whatever you feel most comfortable with should be the way to go.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam, what is "a little residual hearing"? Before my CI, if I plugged my hearing ear, I could not hear people talk. I notice now that with the ear that is not implanted, all I can hear are sounds like cupboard doors closing and nothing else.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy on my "good" ear, I had pretty much the same as you. No speech just some environmental sounds and that was it.