Rehab programs

Leblisa

So far the MedEl online rehab programs seem pretty limited and, unfortunately Angel Sounds doesn't work with my Mac.  Does anyone know of some good auditory rehab programs that will work with a Mac computer?

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa, there are more. I'll do some checking and see what i can find. I've seen at least three or four different ones.

Thanks Adam, but don't go out of your way.  I know the best rehab is just putting myself out there and interacting with people, and that's what I'm doing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa, you might want to download some audio books, there are a number of free ones. As I've said before, I play bingo bash just to get the numbers because that was one area that I had a real hard time hearing. It's a free downloadable app. Putting yourself out there is definitely the way to go! Have fun!

Lisa, my audiologist recommended I listen to a book on tape (which was almost impossible to find since they are downloaded these days) and follow along with a book.  Then I kind of stumbled onto something that was cool... I googled audio books and would listen to the sample being read... it provided a nice variety of voices to listen to, and it was quick so I could do a couple now and a couple later.  Also, I used the idea of "audio rehab" to justify afternoon movies ;-)

• HearPeers Heroes

Camille, that is an excellent idea!

Lisa, go your library's website and read the following information http://nh.lib.overdrive.com/6CAC35BC-1E64-4D49-AC59-9E79E395E74D/10/50/en/Default.htm.  Easy peasy you will need this: http://omc.overdrive.com/mac.php. Our library uses this app and I read books on my iPad.  there are so many books that can be read/played on your Mac, also. the best part is, when you play the tape and it says your mission, Lisa, should you decide to accept it is to locate, download and listen to audio books.... the message will say, this tape WILL NOT self-destruct .

go, Lisa, go if you have an iPod, iPhone or iPad, you can use them to listen to these books, also.

• 7 months later...

What a great idea!  Just to clarify, is it better to read along with the audiobook or just listen to the books?  I am getting my first CI in 2 weeks and really don't know what to expect when it becomes activated. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Heather, because I live alone, retired and recovering from two hip replacement surgeries as well as the cochlear implant, my audiologist suggested reading along with the audio books at first. Additionally, she suggested children's books to start as they are much easier to hear (true). Next step is johns suggestion downloading to my iPad. Good luck with your activation and don't forget, we are all here to support each other, so ask any questions you want. It is an awesome journey.

Thanks so much Sandy!  Do any of you find that listening to the TV with Closed Captions right after activiation helps??  I don't want to keep "cheating" and really listen to the words being said, however, I'm wondering if the CC will help.  Or should I force myself to hear the words and turn off the CC?  I look forward to gaining so much from each of your experiences.

Hi Heather,

I don't get activated until tomorrow, but, at an information day at my clinic, there was some discussion about 'to caption or not to caption', whilst learning with CI.  The general opinion was CC will help with initial sounds/speach learning, but as your hearing progresses with the the CI, then yes turning off the CC will force you to concentrate more on the sound. The Audi that's going to be managing my switch on and rehab, said that if you have a PVR (hard disk recorder), you can do both ie. record the programme, and watch it in 10minute segments, first with the CC Off, then watch the segment again with the CC On, that way you don't miss anything, and it helps you understand/define any parts of the soundtrack, that you didn't get on the first pass... She said that essentially it helps because it is quite difficult to place/understand a  finite sound, especially amongst other noise, if you only hear it once, so irrespective off the CC, the repetition in it's self helps you to learn. She said keep the segments to 10 mins max, so the memory of what you've just seen/heard is vivid.

All that said, at the end of the day, everybody's CI journey is unique, and is influenced by their pre implant severity/duration of hearing loss - so what works for some, may not work for others!

Best of luck, and to be honest, CC will always be helpful especially where background noise fluctuates, (applause can be the worst!).

Mike

Thanks Mike!  Great advise.  We do have DVR on our TV so I will definitely try this.  Good luck on your activation tomorrow!! How exciting!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Heather, I like Mke's idea. My experience has been to leave the closed captioning on per my audiologist. It did help, especially getting used to the sounds. Now I find if I'm trying to listen and follow along with CC, I get sidetracked with it and lose the sounds. It's a journey and eventually the WOW moments become more frequent and then what wasn't "normal" at the beginning all of a sudden you start taking for granted. For example, last weekend, I could actually switch between two conversations in a group of people. I've found music is the hardest and requires lots of practice. I watched the Beatles tribute a few weeks ago and had a difficult time even though the songs were familiar. When the originals were sung by the Beatles, I got it, but when sung by others, it felt like a massacre of the song. It takes time, patience, practice and perseverance (our mantra, the 3 Ps).

• 4 months later...

I think it depends on how fast you get your speech understanding back.  I'm just starting to turn off my captioning, and even went to a movie the other night, but I have talked to a lot of people that have been implanted longer than me, who would not do it yet.

It may be a crutch, but lots of people are reluctant to put it down.

An alternative to angel sounds (at least on Ipad) is ABLE CLIX.  I know one of the competitors makes it, but its a very good rehab tool.

- Scott

• 9 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I have been implanted 4 years, this past April and May. I still use CC on the tv. Not because I necessarily need it. Just haven't turned it off. Every once in a while it helps to still have it on