Third Mapping

Sandy

• HearPeers Heroes

I had my third mapping today and I'm off to the races again. My hearing test was good but she noted that some sounds were too loud. I used the suggestions from you guys on this forum and she set up 3 different programs to try plus FSP. I will be trying that out later today. She thinks the high pitched sound I hear when people are talking should eventually go away. So now I get to play. Will keep everyone informed. Thanks for all the suggestions, they are much appreciated!

• HearPeers Heroes

Forgot to mention, my audiologist did a test for speech and covering her mouth so I couldn't read her lips. I only had 3 wrong. Seven right if I counted correctly. Happy!

• HearPeers Heroes

Surprised - but I am not Wink ..Excellent! Thumb up!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy, That is awesome!!! I'm really happy for you and just think, It's going to get even better. Well done!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Listened with the FSP earlier and tried different songs. Credence Clearwater Revival and Proud Mary won. It doesn't sound quite like the original but I am going to keep playing it until the brain recognizes this. Also, when I get home the stereo is going to be my new best friend!

That is great Sandy, hope everything turn out to what you were expecting. Hope you had a good time in London today. I will be at the same place tomorrow.

• HearPeers Heroes

Keep working at it Sandy. For me, music took a while to come around. It eventually did and now everythign sounds exactly as I remembered it.

• HearPeers Heroes

For only your third mapping you are doing VERY well. I did even attempt trying to really get the music for about a month or so. Music in the car sounded like a big muddy mess and it took about 20 seconds for me to catch a word I understood. Once I figured out what song it was, it was like pulling a blanket off of a speaker and it became much clearer to understand. Strange how the brain works.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy we have some new folks on the forum, do you mind sharing how your acrtivation went to give the others something to look forward too. Was there anything that surprised you, what was the process like, what was it like when they "flipped the switch so to speak............?

• HearPeers Heroes

I have no problem sharing my experience. Like many people getting a CI, I hoped my expectations would be met. The day of activation was very emotional. The audiologist did the mapping and when she "flipped the switch" I was in absolute awe with what I could hear. Her voice was totally understandable but a bit robotic. I was amazed at how much I could hear and what I heard. That was what surprised me the most. I had mostly high pitched sounds up to now with an overlay of chirping. I'm told this will go away eventually. My volume was turned up high for the first activation and I was hoping it would be turned down in the second. No such luck. It was turned up more. It took time to get used to some sounds and with help I started identifying them like water running, rain on the roof of the car and the sound of wind in the trees. My best advice is take advantage of the hearing you've been given and open yourself up to all and every sound you can. Especially make sure the people around you understand that this is not an instant "cure" bit an aid and it will take patience on everyone's part to make sure it works! Hope this helps.

• HearPeers Heroes

Brian, good luck today. Mine went well and I'm looking forward to experimenting with the 4 programs. Enjoyed my time in London. It's a beautiful city. Let us know what happens today.