Second Implant and Tip

drobinson

I am scheduled for my second implant on August 27th.  Still struggling a little try to hear (understand) with one implant, but it continues to improve every day.  My second implant should make a big difference

TIP: I just found a cure for active people with CIs and perspiration.  I'm a land surveyor so I get hot during the day and sometimes my CI cuts-off due to perspiration.  I've tried EarGear® but it is not waterproof and actually soaks up perspiration like a sponge.  Having a soaked sponge wrapped around your processor is not good.  It did not work.  So I thought what would be a simple solution.

My wife had some gauze that adheres to itself and nothing else.  I looked like it might be waterproof.   So, the next day I took the gauze and wrapped it around my processor (only two layers).  I went to work and, as usual, I began to sweat profusely.  My clothes were soaked and my hair was soaked, but my processor remained dry!  It worked!

Attached is the product and my wrapped processor.  I hope this helps others!

Processor Wrap.pdf

• HearPeers Heroes

Donald,

First of all, AWESOME!!!! your going stereo!! It;s funny how some products work for some and not for others. I have used ear gear before and never really had a problem. I guess the rate of sweat makes a big difference.

Seeing how i just recently lost my eargear, I might give the gauze a go and see what happens.

Please keep us updated

Donald,

Congratulations and good luck on your second implant to bilateral hearing! I've recently implanted my left ear a year after the my first (right) ear. The activation gone well with the first implant. The second implant requires more work as it has never been aided, but it is slowly progressing to better hearing. Hearing is better with bilateral, but for now I have to leave the right CI off to force the second implant to work harder to catch up with the first implant. Can't wait for it to get to that goal and I crave the better hearing with both CI!

Sid

How exciting, Donald, to be going bilateral!  If I'd known how much I was going to like my CI I would have done both ears at the same time.  Thanks for the tip about the self-adhesive wrap.  I've used the Coban brand myself and my dog sometimes uses it under the name Vet-Wrap and I know it does keep whatever's underneath it pretty dry.  It's not waterproof to the point of it being OK to submerge it, but the head sweat problem could be pretty much cured with that.

I'm finding the Rondo doesn't seem to get as moist as BTE things, at least in my case - but I'm not one who sweats heavily.

Good luck on the 27th!!!

Donald, what a great suggestion! if it is the same as what the vet uses, I've seen it in different colors.  so you could color coordinate to match your work outfit.  what about the sound transmission into the microphone?  is the wrap acoustically invisible?

• HearPeers Heroes

John, I could be wrong but it does not look like the wrap comes close to covering the opening to the mic. so my guess would be he probably does not have any distortion or muffled effect.

I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.

that's actually pretty cool - I know what I'm doing on my next day off! Good thig we don't need to change our batteries "that" often or undoing/redoing that wrap would be cumbersome.

Donald, here's a thought for you. I use my OPII when riding a bike and wearing a helmet, EarGears are also worn. Since I do not "glow" when riding, I sweat, I alaso wear a cycling cap. It fits over my hear, under my helmet and also absorbs sweat. It also helps channel unwanted moisture to the back of my head and my EarGear covers are not near as wet as before. Do you have to wear a hard hat, or just a cap? I am going to try your field engineering. thanks

I wear biker doo-rag whenever I'm doing something when I perspires a lot or to hold the processor in place securely. I place the rag over the coil and between the processor. It works good me most of the time and doo-rags come in a variety of colors and patterns!

Although I was given both a Rondo and an OPus, I've worn the Rondo exclusively in my right ear since the implantation, and continued to wear my HA in my left ear most (but yeah, not ALL) of the time. What I have noticed in the perspiration department is that I continue to remove my HA when I sweat (which, being way too heavy, I often do - it's a common symptom of obesity), but I don't need to remove the Rondo. Part of this seems to be that since the Rondo sits entirely on top of some of my hair, there is a bit of "drainage" space, which might be increased very slightly by the silicone protector which goes around the edges of the magnet side. On top of that, the magnet side has no openings for sweat to get into. As a result, when I look at it even during heavy sweating, usually (but not quite always) there isn't any sweat on the Rondo casing. This is an unmentioned advantage to the Rondo, I think.

r

I've noticed the same thing, Russ.  When I'm outside and getting sweaty I want to remove my HA but the Rondo is fine.  I LOVE my Rondo!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have also noticed that my processor stops when there is too much moisture on my hair between the coil and my head.  I just wipe my coil and hair as dry as possible and I am back in business.

• HearPeers Heroes

Donald, i try to do the same thing. will stop every 10 minutes or so and give a quick roll in my towel. That usually lasts but I make sure to put in the dry and store that night.