hope for waterproofing?

weimar

stumbled across a new (to me) technology that is being applied to small consumer electronics (such as cell phones) and renders the device completely waterproof.  A company called Liquipel - has anyone heard of this or know of anyone working towards a solution for us?  I emailed them last month and have yet to receive a response... It looks promising and is electrically conducive, meaning that even the battery pack would still be waterproof after changing batteries.

• HearPeers Heroes

Chuckie, I have not heard of them. My advice would be to wait on Medel to come out with something. I'm sure it has got to be on their radar as both cochlear and AB have something. Doing something to your processor that is not MED-EL approved could void any warranty in the case that the processor gets damaged. I would just try to be patient as I'm sure they have to have that on the agenda soon.

Adam

I'd be afraid to compromise the warranty but let's hope 'someone else' tries it and gives us a full report Tongue out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thats the spirit lisa let somebody else ruin thier processor LOL Laughing

it's worth it enough to me to try - I just need them to email me back.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained - am I right?

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm just saying that could be a very expensive venture. To each his own though. If you want to give it a go, knock yourself out, but I'll wait till Med-el comes out with something.

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree - not certain how much is it worth of expensive repair....Undecided

• HearPeers Heroes

These processors are too expensive and to use something that is not sanctioned by the company, well you may end up back in a silent world for awhile. Remember one of the 3 Ps- PATIENCE!

Of course, those of us who are fortunate enough to have 2-processor centers do have an extra one to 'play' with...

This is the voice of doom, here! if you are bilateral and go down this path, and the try fails, you're out mega bucks $7500+. Chuckie, your Specialized bike has done something, what? But, there again, what do I know?

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course, those of us who are fortunate enough to have 2-processor centers do have an extra one to 'play' with...

Lisa,

What is 2-processor center?

I remmber even before I wanted to ask this but I forgot.....

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Some CI centers give one primary processor and one backup. others just give one processor. It depends I think on the agreement between the CI center and implant manufacturer.

My enter is a 2 processor enter but that is going to change soon.

We can only hope the MEd-El has something coming up very, very soon as it is a very desirable request. Anything better than a "zip-loc baggy"!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sid, It does seem to be a pretty desireable one these days.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana,

Some CI centers give one primary processor and one backup. others just give one processor. It depends I think on the agreement between the CI center and implant manufacturer.

My enter is a 2 processor enter but that is going to change soon.

Interesting - we have never had this opportunity.

What stops someone to choose 2-proc Center against 1-proc Centre? Except mileage possible?

You will agree that having 2 proc is definitely advantage, won't you?

• HearPeers Heroes

2 is an advantage for sure. some people will drive hours to go to a CI center the prefer, not necissarily due to the number of processors. It could be the closest to them or they might just feel  more comfortable going to that center.

Guy jumps off the top of the Empire State Building without a parachute, yelling, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

r

I was just wondering why doesn't Med El have a microphone on the headpiece like AB then you can keep your processor in a pouch or pocket to keep it dry. I never had any trouble with sweat and rain as I wear a ball cap to keep it dry and the processor stay dry also in my pocket. That was long before they came out with a water proof version. My job required to work outside a lot and get exposed to all weather condition.

I am not saying the other company device is better, but just want to make a suggestion to Med EL from my experience.

• HearPeers Heroes

Brian,

Technically they do. The Rondo is off the ear, on the head and that is where the mic is and from what i have been told, does very well against sweat.

also with the active wear, you have multiple places you can attach.

I see what you are saying though. One of the things i really like about Medel is they are constantly rolling monies over back into research and development. Look at the Rondo. That is the worlds first self contained unit.

They welcome all suggestions, just look forward to whats coming in the future. :o)

Chuckie - the fact you have NOT received a response from the company is a red flag to me ;-0

Brian - I live in Southern CA, but when I travel to Alabama to visit my mom I encounter LOTS of humidity...with the RONDO I never have the moisture from perspiration that I have with my hearing aid.  I'm glad your cap has allowed for you to be able to work outdoors in all weather.

Adam - agree with you... not going to do anything to void my warranty and have faith in the 35% of revenue MEDEL puts into research that water proofing has to be on their to do list ;-)

Camille, I live on the southern part of Ontario, near Michigan. I am surrounded by the 3 great lakes and it sure does get very humid in the summer. The highest recorded temperature in Southern Ontario was 45 °C (113 °F) and 52 °C (125 °F) with the humidex. This July was unbelievable hot, just sweat from doing nothing.

I agree about the Rondo that is even better without having anything attach to it, similar to the headpiece I am wearing that has a microphone but wired to a processor. I was wondering if anybody had try wearing a cap since it is a little thicker? The cap would also help to keep it from falling off.

I LOVE my Rondo!  No moisture problems like BTE things.  I haven't tried it, but I can see that a cap or 'do-rag' over it would be no problem at all.

• HearPeers Heroes

Camille,

I would imagine that they (MED-EL) has a policy not to discuss any future products or anything they are working on. My guess for legal purposes and we also know how the old rumor ill can take a little information and run with it.

I work out at a crossfit facility here in town. a buddy of mine just opened up a crossfit afiliate. and he had a number of rules that he had to adhere to one being not even mentioning the name until all papers were signed and approved. if he even mentioned the word crossfit beforehand, that could void the contract.

I would imagine that the MED-EL family would be busting at the seams with excitement in wanting to let us know what they have in the works but probably due to legal issues and the like, they can't.

i know they watch this forum and all suggestions are noted and taken seriously. I guess this gives the the chance to develope our patience

I understand the expensive risk aspect but I think that peace of mind and trust of my equipment is far more valuable to me.  I can't tell you how many things/events I've foregone simply because I didn't think my equipment could handle the moisture/humidity.  If the treatment were to be successful, that alone would be worth any expense to me just to feel confident in knowing that my processor will persevere.  My eargear really helps and I'm appreciative of how well it works but I've still been let down.

Plus, my department's insurance rep is all for it.  I've killed many a processor and/or battery pack that it could be worthwhile. I'd only be sending in one unit but for now, I need to see if they'll even consider doing the treatment to it.

• 5 months later...

I just really wish Med-El would come out with a competitive answer for waterproofing! My LO is 2.5 YO and LOVEs the water and i dread this summer if there is not an option for her!