southern sweat

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Alas, I have finally lost my beloved eargear.

today I decided to work out at lunch. The place that I work out at has just (this past weekend)moved into a new building. so new in fact, there is no a/c yet. We were in the top floor of this building with no air flow going and the temps was a cool heat index of 102. just walking in we broke into a sweat so I knew with no hair to slow the weat down, I was gonna be in trouble. 1) brain surgery 5 weeks ago and 2) my processors were gonna get soaked.

I ended up completing the workout but I opted to do it in silence. gotta admit, not the same as having some music blaring to help you get through. That heat normally isnt an issue as literally if it hits the low 90's you actually feel  cool.

As weak as i was coming back from this surgery that heat sucked the life out of me and crossfit workouts are not exactly low key.

Tomorrow the 5:00am class for me.

I'm actually so used to working out without hearing that I prefer it.  I've worn it before and it felt completely foreign - sometimes I'm glad to have my hearing loss (sometimes - not much, but sometimes...).  I am very thankful for my eargear though - sometimes you gotta have the processors on no matter how sweaty you are.

John teases me about riding my bike without hearing but I actually prefer it.  I'm certainly more alert to my surroundings as well as what's going on (plus I use a mirror on my sunglasses) and I get a lot of thinking done as I ride.

Chuckie, that's cuz you ride in rural Indiana and pack heat and handcuffs. Nobody is going to give you bike/road rage! You can think and ride, I can't. What is the secret to your success?

• HearPeers Heroes

no thanks. dont know how you do it. I'm a little nervous running. being on the road?? crazyness I tell yaFoot in mouth

I guess where I ride must be different from where you guys ride/run.  I have a highway a few blocks from my house which is fresh asphalt with a 10' wide break-down lane that goes about 25 miles one ways and 55 the other.  Plus I live in the country so I ride on roads that are relatively car-free.  I've ridden in areas like Cincinati and Indianapolis and was scared enough as it was - the drivers in some places just don't give you an inch. Alternatively, the drivers in Oregon and South Carolina are happy to give you the entire road.

I'm sure you guys get a lot more thinking done than you realize when you're exercising (well... except for John Lee - his mind goes a mile a minute!)