A bit Freaked

drewellwood

My daughter had her surgery 2 days ago and recieved 2 implants.  My question is how long does it take for the swelling to go down?  Her ears are sticking out making her look like an elf.

• HearPeers Heroes

How old is she Drew?

2 max 3 wks for complete resolution.

If she is very small - it is completely normal taking into account that both sides were done at same time.

This is perfectly normal - there are regular elements of tissue repair after tissue damage/surgical cut.

• HearPeers Heroes

Drew,

I'm 45 years old and was implanted a little over 2 years ago. The initial "elephant ear" swelling your talking about took me about 2 to 3 weeks to settle down but there was some residual swelling that went away completely after a few months. That being said, I looked normal after a copuple of weeks.

If you have any concenrs at all or it does not look quite right, make sure that you contact your doctor.

Drew, what you are seeing is totally normal.. You could also ask your surgeon if you could put cold compresses on the two incisions. Please keep us posted.

Ok less freaked now.  Swelling is going down as everyone said.  Thanks for your support. Her left ear was only able to take 8 of the 12 electrodes.  They are turning on the implants sooner to test it.  If it isn't working as well they will pull it and do a different proceedure to get full insertion.  We are just hoping that the 8 are working well for her.  The doc told us that 6 to 12 electrodes

work.

Hi Drew, I can speak from experience that you don't necessarily need all 12 electrodes to be active in order to function well. I have 7 active and one side and have been told by a research audiologist that my responses on any given electrode span a greater range than the same electrode on the other side. My brain has adapted to this new reality. Best wishes for a great outcome!

• HearPeers Heroes

Drew there is some research going on right now along those lines and as John mentions, more isn't always better. Please let us know how things are working out for her.

Adam