Must be my week

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Must be my week. Was standing in line at Chic fil a this morning to get a coffee and a guy wakls up to me and asks if i have cochlear implants. His 17 month old daughter is going to have surgery in Sept. Must have spent a good 30 minutes with him. They wont know what brand until the surgon goes in due to some abnormalities of the cochlea. It is either going to be MED-EL or COCHLEAR. Depends on which one will fit. Pretty cool. He had a lot of realy good questions. Gave him my card and also told him about hearpeers, hopefully he will check it out. They are a little nervous about the surgery.

Adam, go guy go!  Getting coffee at Chick fil a, is this a Southren thing?, no 7-11 or Race Trac or Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? on a more serious note, isn't it amazing what happens when you are able to explain to people what a CI is?

• HearPeers Heroes

John, I was supposed to meet a buddy of mine there. Normally I wont stop there as it is out of the way headed to work. I am from New York so ya go with what ya know, love dunkin donuts coffee. I try not to drink CHARbucks if I can help it. I believe they over roast their beans. I worked for a local coffee company right after graduating college and learned how to roast beans.

I had a lot of fun this weekendtalking to the kids and got so fired up to be able to share my experience with the dad in Chick Fil a. The look of relief in his face, amazing. he walked away so encouraged!! It ws awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy to have been there as they were very woried about surgery.

• HearPeers Heroes

I couldn't agree more.... Livin'-Walkin Encyclopaedia...Laughing

• 2 weeks later...

I encounter a lot of "different kinds" of people in my line of work and have had occaision to meet some people who have apprehensions about CI for one reason or another. It's nice to be able to explain things to them to help allay their fears and/or concerns.  Most recently, I had a young lady whose son was no longer benefitting from hearing aids.  She was considering CI but was worried about appearance, of all things.  She had received a brochure (from a CI company that is not MedEl) and thought that the "ziploc-bag" CI was something her son would have to wear ALL the time.  I explained to her that "ziploc bag" was a temporary cover for moisture resistence and added that if she wanted a smaller, more inconspicuous processor to consider MedEl.  She was very attentive and took notes - hopefully she'll do a better job researching her son's options before she makes a decision.  Either way, it's nice to be able to help someone every once in a while.

• HearPeers Heroes

Chuckie, that is awesome! well done, I'm sure you gave her a lot to think about as that was some great advice.