Baby Boomer downfall

Jdashiell

• HearPeers Heroes

This Boston Globe article starts to describe what I did to ruin my hearing 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/10/baby-boomers-failing-ears-drive-search-for-cure-for-hearing-loss/uThnXTV9MYbI0PC7YV02xN/story.html

Although I have have hearing loss passed on through my mother, I certainly did excessive damage in my teens by blasting music at home, in my car, and attending rock concerts.

I met a woman who said her hearing loss was caused by listening to Innagoddadavida through headphones for hours - Oh I can relate to that.

Any one else?

• HearPeers Heroes

Lol! @Jdashiell  when we’re teenagers we all did stupid stuff to our bodies. I listened to Nirvana back then quite loud. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I remember when first tiny earbuds became available in my country in early 80th. It seemed as a breakthrough with much clearer and sharper sound. But I liked more to listen to music over audio systems with nothing in my ears. So, not my case :)

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I was there for the Sony Walkman loud and before that Beatles, stones, innagoddadavida thru headphones for hours. And concerts too

This is one of the good things I hope will happen to my child once he become a teen.

The ability to stream music directly into his CI making it impossible (I hope?) to turn the volume too high.

• HearPeers Heroes

@dare_v

Although right now it is not a direct stream from sound source to our processors, I stream music everyday via a BT neckloop or BT BOSE QC35 headphones and love it.

Our CI MAPs created by our audiologists include a maximum output level for each electrode so no matter how loud things are in our environment, electrical sound received will be capped by those MAP settings.  I have been in several situations where typically hearing people have been bothered by loud sounds yet I did not even have to adjust my CI volume levels.  It’s a great perk.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@dare_v

i asked years ago if I would damage my hearing more after wearing HAs and CIs and was told not. I stream music into my CIs now via Bluetooth neckloop or in the car. Certainly not the volume levels I did in my youth. 

I play jazz with my Bass guitar and am looking forward to attending a jazz camp this July ?

• Like 3