Sonnet vs Rondo

stream2525

• HearPeers Heroes

Is Sonnet really much better than Rondo ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

There are a few people who have both Sonnets and Rondos.

Some prefer the Sonnet.  Some prefer the Rondo.

I have both and think they each have their own strengths.

In the end, I hear well with either.

Some people think because the Sonnet is the newest tech, people should get Sonnets.  I disagree.  I think people should choose whichever will be best for them.  There are many people who would never go back to a BTE processor after using the one-piece Rondo.  There are others who prefer BTE processors over one-piece units.  Lots of choices.

Having been implanted now for almost 3 years, I would choose a one-piece processor if I had a young child with a CI.  Less pieces to troubleshoot.  But this is only my opinion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

Having been implanted now for almost 3 years, I would choose a one-piece processor if I had a young child with a CI.  Less pieces to troubleshoot.  But this is only my opinion.

As we debated in another thread. there is one big downside of this. How to put a bicycle helmet on a child? or any helmet at all?

• HearPeers Heroes

That is a good point.  The youngest CI users, before they are old enough to report quality of sound accurately, ages 1-?.... may not be wearing helmets often but that would depend on which activities they are involved in.

There have been quite a few times when the quality of sound in my Sonnets has markedly decreased and yet there was no objective way to detect that.  This is why I would keep a young CI user in a Rondo.  But again, it’s just my personal preference.

Addon: Rondo 2. As it is just around the corner I believe there is no point in getting original Rondo unit.

• HearPeers Heroes

Agree with Mary Beth,

It is hard to say if one is better than other because it depends on what kind of feature a particular person prefers to have. For instance, Rondo provides some wearing options that Sonnet doesn't. Currently, Rondo does not support EAS that Sonnet provides.

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, dare_v said:

Addon: Rondo 2. As it is just around the corner I believe there is no point in getting original Rondo unit.

I agree. That's why I think i will opt for two Sonnets and then save for a Rondo2 afterwards. 

13 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Good point @Cara Mia!

EAS definitely requires Sonnets 

Excuse my ignorance but how much better this is compare to Rondo2 technology?

• HearPeers Heroes

If a CI candidate has stable low frequency hearing that meets requirements for an EAS device, which is a combined hearing aid for low frequencies and CI for mid and high frequencies, a BTE processor is needed because there is an earmold attached due to the hearing aid component.  Med-El has the Sonnet EAS.

If someone is using only the CI for all frequencies, Rondo....Rondo 2.....Sonnet.....Opus 2 are all options.

@Mary Beth

Nice comparison dear Mary

I have both Sonnet & Rondo

I like Rondo you can hide it under your hair but when I use my Quattro 4.0 built in telecoil I thought weaker than Sonnet so you need to adjust Rondo will specially when you hold your cellphone near Rondo.

Sonnet with Quattro much better sound but unfortunately 2 batteries will let you use it for 30 hours but in Rondo you will use 3 batteries for 4-5 days!!

each one of them have an advantage.

But when you wear it for sleep I prefer Sonnet rather than Rondo.

I’m implanted only one side maybe in future I will think to implant left side.

Thank you dear @Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @iHM24

The distance between the processor and the neckloop effect the volume so that explains why the Rondo sounds quieter with the Quattro4 than the Sonnet.  The Artone 3 MAX neckloop is a stronger neckloop and has a louder volume.  It may work better for you with your Rondo.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm user of Rondo. At this moment I dout to pass to a BTE processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have always preferred the BTE. Since I graduated from in the ear. I also look forward to not having something in my ear! Hence the earmold will be gone! 

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi @EdgarOlson!

Do you already have your CIs or are you scheduled for surgery?

welcome.  Tell us a bit about yourself if you wish.

• 1 year later...