Helmets and Implants... What is the solution?

Mr-LJ

• 4 months later...

I am currently a high school student in Australia. I have lived with a hearing impairment since birth. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed as unsuitable for cochlear implants or hearing aids and had to learn to live with the condition. I am very close to the hearing-challenged community, mindful of the issues faced by the community in going about their daily lives. I am passionate make everyday items hearing-friendly/hearing enable. For my high school final year design project  I have selected to create a custom quad /or motorcycle helmet for people who wear cochlear implants. In my research, I have found that most dirt bike or quad users either go helmet-less or hearing aid-less as the cochlear implant gets dislodged and thus, while not performing its intended function, is also uncomfortable inside a helmet. With motorcycles, most people have no option but to cut out padding around the cochlear implant area from their helmets.

Both these appear to be a compromise on user safety. Hence I am keen to design hearing impaired-specific helmet prototype.

I am mindful that these design solutions should not impact the cochlear implant's functionality and the helmet's integrity.

From that perspective, I am reaching out to you to gain your feedback. 

I understand my request is a big ask.  I sincerely hope you will be excited as I am to contribute to a more inclusive society without compromising safety and the safety of other road users. 

Regards

Julian 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Julian2005

There are many CI users who would love a helmet designed to work with their implants.  Good luck.

thank you Mary Beth. I wrote to nearly all the big helmet companies and few small boutique makers too.  Sadly, I haven't received a response or even an acknowledgment.  I am however determined. 

Hiya! 

There has to be good advice on helmets somewhere, one of the stories around my surgeon was a young boy who was implanted and ended up playing football at the surgeons hospital ( university of iowa) i should see if there are details there...

54 minutes ago, Dianna said:

Hiya! 

There has to be good advice on helmets somewhere, one of the stories around my surgeon was a young boy who was implanted and ended up playing football at the surgeons hospital ( university of iowa) i should see if there are details there...

I found a young man named kelby telander, a local boy implanted young now playing football for the hawkeyes, i found his story but just about the "small device under his helmet" maybe further searches may find more info.  

• 4 months later...
I ride a motorcycle and am considering getting an intercomm system (e.g. Cardo Packtalk Edge) to talk with fellow riders.
I was wondering if anyone has done this or knows how I could use my Nucleus 7 processor inside my helmet and link with such a system.
Would my Phone Clip work as a link with an intercomm system like Cardo?
Is there any company doing helmet audio systems for cochlear users ?
Any info you can share would be appreciated.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Garry

Helmets and CIs present difficulties for many people.

This forum is hosted by the Med-El brand of cochlear implant.  You may find more help about using your phone clip in a group of Cochlear brand CI users.

I hope someone has found a work around.

Thanks for your reply Mary, seems we all have similar issues with CIs in helmets.

There is also a good discussion  in Adventure Rider blog on this subject if anyone is interested.