I just had surgery! What's next?

Kat Southwark

Hi guys, this is my first post. I wanted to connect to the community before my surgery but I just got my account approval today.

Would like to hear some advice about what to do after surgery. I.e. can I start walking the dogs in 2 days, should I just stay in bed?

My surgeon was amazing and I'm very happy I chose him. He told me surgery went without a hitch and all of the tested electrodes are all functioning. I'm staying overnight but honestly I feel great and would like to go home and see my pet dogs. I hear they are going crazy.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Kat Southwark and congratulations on receiving your implant!

My CI surgeon gave me a list of restrictions.  Ask your doctor for your restrictions.

My surgeries were out patient and fortunately my recoveries were easy.  I hope you have the same good fortune.

Which processor did you choose?

I’m glad you are here.  Sorry there was a delay in gaining access to the forum.

• Like 1

Hi Mary Beth, I was very fortunate to receive both be rondo and sonnet. Where I am it's usually just one processor.

I have just received my post op instructions from the hospital, but nonetheless it would be nice to hear from others when they returned to being 100% normal.

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific!

My first CI surgery was on a Wednesday and I returned part time to work the following Tuesday and full time (with lifting restrictions still in place) the next Tuesday.

My second CI surgery was on a Friday and I turned to full time work the following Thursday and attended a concert the next day.

Restrictions about sneezing, flying, lifting, etc stayed in place per surgeon’s instructions.

I found both of my CI surgeries to be the easiest ear surgeries I ever had.  I hope you are as lucky.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kat Southwark,

Glad that your surgery went well so you are ready considering a walk with your dogs. I did it on the third day after my surgery and it was just fine and pleasure. Perhaps, It should be a shorter walk (it was something about 4 miles) because at the end I felt a little bit light headed. But since that day I was just fine with my regular doggy activities. I hope your doggos are not leash pullers, because it may cause some not needed strain on you... Just be careful and reasonable. What kind of dogs do you have?

• Like 2

A Maltese and a Jack Russell and they are leash pullers :(

I may get my brother to come with me tomorrow just in case, but I am really looking into getting back into the swing of things soon. Bit borring to stay in bed honestly.