Bilateral ci

pudge4moke

I am a unilateral CI wanting to get second implant.  My question is I was told some insurances only cover one implant. Has anyone had a problem with this?  Would you recommend going bilateral??  

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @pudge4moke

I have not heard of some insurances only covering one CI in the US, except for some people who received their first CI under Medicare and are experiencing difficulty getting their second CI approved also under Medicare.  However, many people have succeeded with Medicare approving the second CI too.

I would absolutely recommend going bilateral.  This is definitely not something that only gives us access to sounds from the other side better.  The sound quality of listening bilaterally is so much better.  Hearing in noise, locating the direction of sounds, ease of listening, quality of music....all greatly improved after going bilateral.

For me, it was an awesome decision.  I went bilateral 8 months after my first CI.

One benefit of being bilateral that I had not anticipated ahead of time is the emotional safety net of having two working ears.  If something happens to the internal implant on one side, I will still be able to hear while that all gets sorted out.

Wishing you the best.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Absolutely agree with Mary Beth, if you are eligible for the second CI, just do it!

If your insurance is reluctant to cover it due to some mysterious reasons, please, use any means to get an approval for the second CI.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thank you Cara Mia and Mary Beth.  I appreciate all the helpful information.