Power outages and Rondo 2

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

The winter storms that have hit the NE US twice in the past two weeks, make me think about dealing with the Rondo 2 and power outages.  Some homes spent days without electricity during the first storm only to experience power outages again a few days later with the second storm.  I realize we can use backup USB chargers but they only have a set number of hours of use.  

Power outages will be a problem with the Rondo 2.  I guess people would have to use the mini battery pack and deal with the cables.

I hope future processors will always have a convenient disposable battery option.  

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Good point @Mary Beth. That would pose a problem for me in Jamaica since whenever we have devastating hurricanes we are without power for weeks and sometimes months. 

• Like 2

The lack of removable batteries always seemed a strange choice to me. With our current devices it's very easy to change a bad battery. Now we will need to hand it in and wait - hopefully we'll be given a temporary device if this happens.

I feel that rather than offering a more simple device, Medel should have included an extra microphone for better sound quality. And then a rechargable battery if it can be removed and replaced easily.

I do wonder how people will cope on holidays. I have been on trips where power points are not easy to get to (2 days bus traveling) and disposable batteries are vastly more convenient than carrying around a power bank as you won't be able to hear as it charges.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Using disposable batteries with the Opus 2, Rondo and Sonnet is so easy.  They last multiple days.  When you travel, packing several packs of disposable batteries hardly takes up any room in your backpack.  You can leave disposable batteries in frequently visited places and easily carry an extra pack on your body at all times.  There is a great ease of use with disposable batteries that doesn’t exist for rechargeable batteries.  And as long as you have extra packs, you will never be out of power.  No need to wait while a Rondo 2 charges up again.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kat Southwark

I agree.  There are people who will like the design of Rondo 2.  People perhaps with vision or dexterity difficulties.

I guess there is no way to design a processor that will appeal to all of us.

We wil use various processors over the years.  I reckon we just need to think carefully about which features are important to us and then decide when to upgrade.

The dual mic idea on the Rondo design baffles me since both mics would face the same direction.  Unless they designed a Rondo model with a forward facing mic.  Having two mics positioned on the same plane may make it difficult to have better speech in noise benefits.  But I am sure engineers could figure a way around that.  They are a clever bunch.

I am happy using disposable batteries and hope future processors have that option always.  Using a battery pack with a tether does not appeal to me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Probably in the future we have a TESLA battery for IC processors  with 30 days of autonomy so don't worry about change batteries for a month.:)

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Kim

We are still waiting to hear if that mini battery pack is being included in our 3 types of US Rondo 2 kits:

-new surgical kits

-upgrade kits

-Rondo 2 voucher kits

For me I would use rondo as a backup 

in Buffalo we really don’t have proble. Knock on wood