Returning to work and hearing ability

Carolyn

Hello all, I have enjoyed reading many posts in this forum, and they have inspired and motivated me. First, let me introduce myself. I have had hearing loss beginning in my early 30’s which has become increasingly worse, to the point where speech discrimination is extremely difficult and hearing aids are no longer very helpful. I am planning a CI (unilateral) in July of this year. My question is regarding returning to work. I am referring to the ability to “hear” well enough at work, not recovery from the surgery itself. I am a part-time instructor at a college, which means that there are no substitute teachers to fill in for a week or two. I would have to take the entire semester off. Given the reality that acclimating to the new CI takes months (?), and that I may lose the residual hearing in the implanted ear, I’m wondering how likely it is that I will be able to function effectively in a classroom one or two months post-op.  Of course, I would retain residual hearing in the other ear, but—obviously—I am not functioning well even with residual hearing in both ears. (Thus, the CI decision).  So, I guess what I am asking is, will it get worse before it gets better?  Your feedback is appreciated. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations on your decision, I know it’s never one taken lightly.

Returning to work is a decision you and your surgeon will discuss about one week post surgery.

will you be wearing a hearing aid on your non-implanted ear?

I was able to get back to work within the w eek to 10 days after surgery but everyone is different, and heals differently.

you have a special situation where you are teaching and will need to hear your students.

i would suggest you start each session informing the class of your situation and any special requests to ask of the students and your colleagues- that includes family, friends, etc.

its is a journey where you learn and listen everyday 

Best of luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome!

I am a teacher as well.  I returned to work after a week but everyone is different.  I also teach at the university and I told the students how to best communicate with me at that time and explained why.  The students were very interested and things went fine.

wishing you the best!

Thank you so much, Mary Beth and JDashiell, Your responses are very helpful. I will be wearing a hearing aid in the non-implanted ear.   Your comments about informing my students made me realize just how bad my hearing is.  I ALREADY have to tell my students the first day of the semester about my hearing problem (the fact that I need to be right in front of them to communicate, and I still may need numerous repetitions to understand them.).  Given that reality, I don't think it can be much worse, and my students are very understanding.  Thank you again for your responses.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Before my CI I had to tell my students too.  So you are already a pro at that.  Smile.