activation day

drewellwood

Well today was my daughters activation and it didn't go as I had hoped it would.  Both implants were mapped and turned on but my daughter didn't give us a clear indication that she was hearing anything.  No " what was that!" face.  We were told that meningitis cases sometimes takea bit longer to hear.  I hope this is the case for her.  This has been very difficult and my expectations for today were for much more.  I realize that if the impants are working and the auditory nerves were good she still would not understand the sounds as words.  Just bumbed out.

Drew

Drew, as you will read in other posts, keep high hopes and low expectations for an initial activation. This is a journey, not a sprint. how old is your daughter?  There are any number of factors that could affect her reaction to activation.  what can your fellow forum members do to support you and your family?  John

• HearPeers Heroes

Drew,

John is right on the money. the reactions of some adults are less than what you would expect for them hearing for the first time or for the first time in a while. Dont give up hope yet. Every persons body responds a little diferently to surgery and like i have said, I have seen many videos with reactions all across the board. We hope for the best but expect the wors so to speak. Try to give it a little time.

We are believing that everything will start coming togther soon.

please keep us posted

My daughter is 4 and they did raise the levels to see if they could get any reaction from her.  It is very difficult for us at the momnet she has been through so much this summer and we are very all wore out from this.  It was just a huge let down not to see a clear sign that she was hearing agian. So we wait and hope.  Thanks for the replies.

• 1 month later...

Hey, how is your daughter doing now? It's been almost 2 months, I am willing to bet that things are a little different now. Would love to hear how she's progressing. :)