HearPeers Heroes Mary Featherston Posted March 23, 2018 HearPeers Heroes Report Share Posted March 23, 2018 Hello all: I am waiting on my insurance authorization and then will be scheduling my implant surgery. My surgeon submitted to the insurance company for bilateral (all at once) but we have not made a final decision, primarily because although I want to end up bilateral, I can't shut down the muttering little core of fear deep in my unconscious. Here's the thing: I have almost no hearing in my right ear, but my left is - well, I'm not going to say functional because I struggle all day every day. But there's SOMETHING there. My fear is going into surgery and having both implants put in and then having something catastrophic happen and end up completely deaf. For one thing, my husband is retired and my income is what we live on, and for another, the whole point of the exercise is to be able to hear. And even though I've spoken to my surgeon and she has NEVER had a patient not be able to hear something (some people hear more than others, of course, but she said that the very worst result that she's seen is better than my current word comprehension). My audiologist said the same thing. So there seems to be little logical reason for that quivering little ball of fear in my subconscious. But there it is. I'd really really like to get them both done at once. I would like to qualify for PlusRondo on both ears, for one thing, and then too if my second surgery were to slip into next year that would be two years in a row when I'd be out my maximum out of pocket on my healther coverage. Do any of you experience CI users have any input that I could consider? Thank you so much. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.