Received my authorization!

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Next step:  schedule surgery.  Oh, you all here are WELL aware of how exciting this is!

• HearPeers Heroes

Great news! Soon you will be where I am today! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So I have been reading on some CI forums online and I saw a couple of people state that they were unable to lie on the implanted side of their head without hearing feedback-like noises.  This seems counter-intuitive to me - without the processor, where are the auditory signals coming from?  What do you all say?  Is this a thing?

• HearPeers Heroes

Right after surgery it was uncomfortable to lie on the implanted side.  That improved over time.

I have never “heard” any unique sounds when laying on either implanted side with the processors off.

In the early weeks, I experienced loud and interesting tinnitus when I removed the processor at night.  That resolved also over time.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth - I was expecting both of those things based on discussions here, but the idea that the implant, without processors, could cause noise when lying down just seemed odd.  Possibly the person who posted it has some other thing going on, or it's a thing but very unusual.

• HearPeers Heroes

There have been reports from people of “hearing” chimes, bells, etc when they rub their ear on the implanted side even with the processor off.  For some, this is temporary and for others it seems longer lasting.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I have found it does that for me in the bath under water. I get sound. Down the electrode. Water is a good sound conductor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

II never had tinnitus until the surgery.  I have it now.  At first it was strange and I heard all sorts of sounds, but by now I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me any more.  I understand from my surgeon that it may go away over time, just maybe....

• HearPeers Heroes

My tinnitus has settled down to pretty much what I've been used to hearing all my life (well, most of it anyway).  It remains to be seen to what extent it goes away after activation!

Two and a half weeks to go.....

• HearPeers Heroes

Even if tinnitus remains when processors are off, many people do not notice tinnitus while wearing their processors.  Fingers crossed for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

So I understand.  I'm so used to it now that even if it doesn't go away, it's not really any different from what I've been hearing for the last 45 years.  (!)

The funny thing is that for a couple of minutes the other day it stopped.  Just completely stopped.  The silence was incredible.

And then it came back.  :-)

• HearPeers Heroes

I experienced that temporary absence of tinnitus too and it shocked me too!  Complete silence.  Go figure!  

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes after surgery is the worst foe me. Now it’s almost gone. Only get it occasionally. 

• Like 1