Article about trying to secure bilateral CIs for children AND adults in CANADA

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Canadians:  to what extent would that help people in other provinces?  My understanding is that healthcare is not a federal program, but rather each province has its own system.  Is that true?  Would Ontario's potential decision to underwrite bilateral CIs influence other provinces?

not likely.... each province has its own budget for healthcare.... each province would do it's own research on bilateral CI.. also each center within each province does their own thing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Seems odd that they wouldn't at least consider taking official notice of the data that Ontario has.  It's not as though they have to come to the same conclusion.  But governments are weird.

• HearPeers Heroes

No kidding. I have written my MP I heard nothing back. So it’s up in the air. Hopefully they will learn something from me in the bilateral study. 

• Like 1

just a fyi... children under (i think 5 years) get bilateral no matter what. Reasoning is that it will be a crap shot if the youngster will have both of them working effectively. Their nerve endings are the issues with the younger patience, they are not effectively able to have them identify the sounds, so they put in 2 and bless for the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes that’s true @mgfiest  we are taking about adults. I wish they would consider it a matter of quality of life not necessities. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I have searched for methods/products to securing Uni/Bilateral CIs for adults and the options are limited. More availability for children who are much more active.

I value the CIs I wear - no I DEPEND on them and fear for there loss. - Thank goodness I have backup processors - not everyone does get two processors. Thats a surgery center decision.Sadly.

We all have decent warranty coverage too - I think everyone does. But can you imagine the downtime involved to get a replacement?

A History.
When I wore HAs I was walking out of a building during a heavy rainstorm, very windy too. As I opened my umbrella while opening the door, the wind hit the door and hit my head. It knocked my HA off. In slow motion, i watch my HA tumble downward into the grate/gutter - that was a rushing river of fast moving water. The building is two blocks from the ocean.

Bye-bye HA :(

I cringed, knowing how long I would be without a replacement 

It was that experience among others that  led e to really value my CIs - I cannot be without - I depend on them for hearing and surviving in the aural world I live in and have always lived in.

I need to develop a new product and become a billionaire!!:)

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

There are a lot of securing options.  Many designed by parents of young CI users and some available in adult sizes.

You can clip your Sonnets onto a shirt or necklace.

I feel my Sonnets and Opus 2 are secure. Rondos make me look at securing options.  They never fall off on their own but can get knocked off.

what kind of securing option are you interested in?  Smart Ears in Poland has lots of options too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Today I used the sports headband. Just put it over top of the processor not in the pocket. It was very snug. I use Sonnet by the way. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

Here is a securing option for Sonnets.  It comes in unilateral or bilateral styles.  It uses a similar clip as Ear Gears.  My Ear Gear clips have worked brilliantly.

website link:

http://smartear.pl/product-eng-5039--CLIP-ON-INVISIBLE-HOOKS-FOR-PROCESSORS-HEARING-AIDS-BLACK.html

462C8CE4-5346-47BE-B82A-FDDBDACDEF72.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 4/26/2018 at 0:32 PM, Jdashiell said:

I have searched for methods/products to securing Uni/Bilateral CIs for adults and the options are limited. More availability for children who are much more active.

I value the CIs I wear - no I DEPEND on them and fear for there loss. - Thank goodness I have backup processors - not everyone does get two processors. Thats a surgery center decision.Sadly.

We all have decent warranty coverage too - I think everyone does. But can you imagine the downtime involved to get a replacement?

A History.
When I wore HAs I was walking out of a building during a heavy rainstorm, very windy too. As I opened my umbrella while opening the door, the wind hit the door and hit my head. It knocked my HA off. In slow motion, i watch my HA tumble downward into the grate/gutter - that was a rushing river of fast moving water. The building is two blocks from the ocean.

Bye-bye HA :(

I cringed, knowing how long I would be without a replacement 

It was that experience among others that  led e to really value my CIs - I cannot be without - I depend on them for hearing and surviving in the aural world I live in and have always lived in.

I need to develop a new product and become a billionaire!!:)

Follow up

I ordereda MedEl headband last week. It is supposed to be for Rondo s but seems to work ok for my Sonnets too.  

• HearPeers Heroes

How do you use it with your Sonnets?

I just fit my headband over the Sonnets

• HearPeers Heroes

I used it with waterwear in just fresh water in the lake. I actually put the waterwear and Ci into the pocket and then let the magnet figure it out. Worked awesome. I also used it to block the wind noise. As you said just over top. I haven’t tried it with the two yet.