Son activated 2 days ago

Arlegs

Hi all.  My son (who turns two next week) was activated on Tuesday.  He didnt have much of a reaction (we were hoping for the kind you see on youtube) but we did get him to alert to a few things.  Right now he's still on his very basic '1' mapping where they tell us its a low range of sound and a very low volume.  I'm anxious to turn him on to '2' but they said to wait a full two days.  Did anyone start to see awareness of sound improvement as they increased the number?  We are just so anxious for him but I dont want to push it. 

You need to wait, is that the response to the sounds does not appear immediately ..

Our son was slow to react to any sound but 6 months with CI now and he (in a quiet setting) always turns to his name. He also tells me when phone is ringing.

• 3 months later...

My daughter is three and was activated May of this year. She too didnt have the reaction i had hoped for. Her implant has now been turned up for times with four new settings each time and she reacts to so much now. Wait it out and you will soon see the reaction you had hoped for.

Hi all.  My son (who turns two next week) was activated on Tuesday.  He didnt have much of a reaction (we were hoping for the kind you see on youtube) but we did get him to alert to a few things.  Right now he's still on his very basic '1' mapping where they tell us its a low range of sound and a very low volume.  I'm anxious to turn him on to '2' but they said to wait a full two days.  Did anyone start to see awareness of sound improvement as they increased the number?  We are just so anxious for him but I dont want to push it.

It's still very very early days! The problem with switch on with a young child, it's very difficult to know what volume to set it up to with no communication whereas with us adult's it's easy because we tell them where we are comfortable with the volume level but don't worry they will get there as some take longer than others and they got a target to reach on the mapping chart. It's understandable you're anxious but trust me they all know what they're doing. Forget about YouTube as everybody experience is difference of how we hear sounds. My best advice to you is to take it slow, steady and enjoy knowing you will able to talk to your son in time.

• 1 month later...

Hello Allison

We too had the same experience. You can take it slow but if you want progress dont wait to long to activate a new program. Since my son is busy at school I told his SLP to change his program at school. Thatway he doesnt even know if it is louder or program higher. If I do that at home he got mad and threw the CI away. That was when he was at pre-K @ 3 1/2. Now he is almost 7 and in first grade mainstream.

If you have Audiologist, speech therapist, school teacher and you at home working together you will succeed more than you think.

My husband and I are still in shock how good our son is doing.

sincerely Ivana