sport

Yseelle

Hi everybody,

I plan to climb Kilimanjaro soon. Is there anybody among you who did it with his/her cochlear implant. Is there any difficulty with the device at this altitude (6000m)?

Thank you for your testimony.

Frédérique

Frederique, Soyez Le bienvenue a HearPeers! That is an interesting question. I am guessing that as long gas you keep the batteries warm and the external processor away from the cold and wind you should be in really good shape. Bonne chance.

• HearPeers Heroes

Frederique, good luck on such an awesome challenge. Please let us know about your journey when you return.

• HearPeers Heroes

Frederique

From an altitude perspective with the implant, that should not affect the operation of the processor. At that altidue as you are well aware frostbite is a big concern of rthe ears nose fingers and toes. I know you will be well protected so my guess is what you have on over the processor will keep it warm enough. the one thing you have to think about is the weather, more importantly the wind. Wind gusts at that altitude can get up to hurricane force. This can make it almost impossible for a normal hearing pwerson to hear let alone with a CI.

You will want to do your best to keep it somewhat warm and maybe make sure you have a barrier between the coil and your skin. I would imagine the metal coil in freezing temps cant be good for the skin.

I ran a 24 hour ultramarathon Last February and the temp was 17 F windchill all night with sustained 45 to 50K an hour winds. I kept covered and didnt have any issues with the processors for the entire race. Of course those conditions are nothing compared to what you might face.

You need to get somebody to write a story or have a film crew with you. It would do a lot to educate people about cochlear implants

Hello all, thank you very much for your messages and advices which help me a lot to take my decision regarding this project.

Congratulations Adam for your ultra marathon which a tremandous adventure for sure!

Regards from Paris to all.

Frédérique