Getting 'Activated' today.

Eddie1971

Hi everyone,

Well the day I've been waiting for has finally arrived. I'll be getting 'switched on' in a few hours time. I'm not expecting too much at first, however it's hard not be excited / apprehensive.

I've got several appointments over two days so I'll be staying over in sunny Cambridge. I'll let you know how I got on once I'm home again.

Cheers

• HearPeers Heroes

Keeping our fingers crossed Wink - keep your expectations low but hope high, so you need - Cool

Well I'm back home now, fully activated. What can I say, better than I had dared hoped !!

After a few computer glitches my Audiologist switched it on. She then started to talk. At first it came through as beeps, a bit like morse code, but then as she raised the volume her voice started to come through. It all sounds very strange at first but as I got used to it people started to sound less like robots and more human. My wife's voice, which I suppose I was most used too prior to my hearing loss almost sounded 'normal' by the evening. It was strange hearing things that I hadn't heard for a while such a my footsteps, the car indicators etc.

I went back again today for more tests and more tuning. Initially this seemed to make things worse but by this afternoon things were improving again. It was amazing to be able to have a chat with my son. I'm probably missing 10% of words now where as before it was 90%

Overall it's early days but I'm very impressed. Many thanks to Med El for this miracle device and all the staff at Addenbrookes.

Eddie

• HearPeers Heroes

Eddie, it is good to hear that it is going so well for you. Absolutely, awesome and it will keep getting better. When I first was activated, I heard my footsteps for the first time ever and remembered how annoying the signal indicator could be. I'm happy for you. Keep us informed of further milestones.

Thank you Sandy & Ivana

I was back at work today, amazing to be able to chat with my colleagues for the first time in over a year !!! Driving on the motorway (freeway) was a bit un-pleasant , I'd forgotten how noisy my car was at motorway speeds but I resisted the temptation to remove the device - as my audiologist says, the brain has to learn what's loud and what's quite.

Anyway so far so good.

Eddie

• HearPeers Heroes

Eddie, one of the things I love doing is opening the car window to listen to all the sounds.