Surgery May 4

Daniel the Stranger

Hi guys, I had the surgery yesterday morning. Things were better than expected, I'm feeling a little bit dizzy (nothing serious), got tinnitus (always had) and now I'm resting back at home. Surprisingly, doctor told me that I could wash my hair after 24 hours. He told me the incision is waterproof. 

Got a little bit of metallic taste, doctor told me the nerves were very close and that he had to touch the taste nerve in order to place the electrodes.

CT Scan this morning was good, electrodes are properly placed in the cochlea. I can walk by myself, fell a little bit of unbalance but nothing to worry about.

Yesterday after surgery:

IMG_20180504_183246-1.jpg

This morning after bandage removal:

IMG_20180505_104201-1.jpg

Looking forward for activation day May 28. Very excited.

• HearPeers Heroes

That is terrific @stranger!  My surgeons also used the same kind of suture closing and I was able to wash my hair after 24 hours as well.  Rest easy.  May 28th will be here soon!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

That is terrific @stranger!  My surgeons also used the same kind of suture closing and I was able to wash my hair after 24 hours as well.  Rest easy.  May 28th will be here soon!

Thanks @Mary Beth, I didn't ask my doctor about the suture closing he used and now you got me confused. I thought I had the normal suture with needle and thread, Am I wrong?

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger  I just meant that my covering looked just like yours.  Ask your doctor about your incision and how it was closed.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger - excellent!  Now for a quick recovery and activation!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger, by the way, you got a lot more writing on you than I did.  My surgeon just put what looked like some asterisks on my earlobe to mark the correct one.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mary Featherston said:

@stranger, by the way, you got a lot more writing on you than I did.  My surgeon just put what looked like some asterisks on my earlobe to mark the correct one.

@Mary Featherston lol, not only that, my wife tried to remove the writing but she couldn't!!! tried rubbing alcohol with little success, she could remove some of it but it is still there lol.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger mine finally wore off after a week or so of showers.

Well it has been now 24 hours since I took the last tablets for the pain when I was discharged from hospital and so far I have not needed to take anymore here at home. The send me some tablets when I was discharged but I have not opened them. I hope it continues like that from now on. These tablets are Tramadol, quite strong and I'm not looking forward to opening them. 

Lots of tinnitus as expected, otherwise I think I'm doing pretty well considering this is my second day after surgery. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger

Sounds like you are doing great!  I took a few Tylenol for a day or two and never needed the prescription pain meds.  These were actually the easiest ear surgeries I ever had.  I was lucky.  Sounds like you are too.  Rest easy.  The countdown to activation has begun!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @stranger. Looks like you're off to a great start! Good that you're recovering smoothly and quickly. May 28 can't come too soon! It looks like the surgeon used a Sharpie! No wonder it's hard to remove the marks! Enjoy the little tattoos for now ?. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger if you don't have pain now, you're doing great!  I was taking the occasional hydrocodone for the first week - but to be honest, it was mainly because I wasn't allowed ibuprofen and acetominophen doesn't do anything for me, never has.  But very very good that you were able to stop your pain meds!

And yep, @Jewel my surgeon used a Sharpie too.  I spent the first three days after trying to decide if she'd just scribbled on my earlobe or if it was a Chinese character, as she is either an immigrant or the child of immigrants - a very very slight accent.  I was hoping for Chinese character.  :-)

Day 5 after surgery: went to the doctor for the planned check up. He is very happy with my recovery and he also removed the dressing, I was amazed at how he did the stitching. There is no need to remove the suture as he used the dissolvable ones on my incision.

I have been feeling dizzy for the past couple of days and today as well but nothing I can't manage, just that it makes you feel uncomfortable all the time. In general, I think I'm going OK given the circumstances. Still no pain at this time, so I would say in my case "No pain, YES gain!!" lol.

Here is a pic of the scar after removal of the dressing:

IMG_20180509_103208-2.gif

• HearPeers Heroes

@stranger - wow, your incision is healing really nicely!  Very unnoticeable suture job there.

I hope the dizziness goes away soon.  I just had it for half a day or so.  Sorry if you've already said, but do you have an activation date yet?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mary Featherston said:

@stranger - wow, your incision is healing really nicely!  Very unnoticeable suture job there.

I hope the dizziness goes away soon.  I just had it for half a day or so.  Sorry if you've already said, but do you have an activation date yet?

Yes @Mary Featherston, activation day is the 28th May. It was supposed to be on the week of the 21 but my audiologist will be out on some training that week.

• HearPeers Heroes

Looking good @stranger  Rest up and get ready for the wild ride! 

• Like 1