Glasses and CI

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Does anyone here wear glasses?  I think Joe does, but if I recall from the surgery picture they're those nice lightweight titanium ones with teeny earpieces.

Just before I was identified as a CI candidate, I had been to the eye doctor and got a new prescription and bought a new pair of glasses, and while I like them a lot they are really uncomfortable with the CI.  The earpieces are fairly thick and so's the Sonnet, and it's ranging from discomfort to actual pain throughout the day.   It's possible that some of this is because I'm only four weeks post-surgery, but I thought I'd ask for opinions.  I'm seriously considering going to order another pair of glasses tomorrow.

Anyone with experience?

• HearPeers Heroes

I wear glasses @Mary Featherston.  I don’t have any problem with my glasses and the processors.  Of course, it is much easier with glasses and the Rondos, but I understand you have a Rondo 2 voucher so you will have a bit of a wait for that.

Some people used thin moleskin to cushion their ears during the early weeks.

If it is very painful, you can think about wearing it off your ear for a bit.  There are several ways to do that.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth - this is part of what I'm trying to figure out.  It may still be post-surgical discomfort - my audiologist said that we'd have to use a different magnet next week because this one's going to be too strong after the swelling goes down (me, thinking, swelling?  I have swelling?) so if there's still swelling at the implant site there may well be tenderness behind the ear, where the incision is, after all.

I'm looking forward to the Rondo but have no idea when they'll be shipping them.

Wouldn't I need a longer cable to wear the Sonnet off my ear?  I'm wondering if it might not be worth it to get the glasses even if the effect is temporary.  I can get them at Costco for a couple hundred bucks.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Which strength magnet are you presently using in your DL-coil?  There are 9 magnet strength settings for DL-coils

1 in the minus position

1 in the plus position

2 in the minus position

2 in the plus position

3 in the minus position

3 in the plus position

4 in the minus position

4 in the plus position

5 must be used in the plus position only 

So there are a lot of magnet strength options in the DL-coil for Sonnet.

As far as wearing your Sonnet off ear for awhile......

You can get longer cables to do that or you can use a headband.  Med-El sells a headband but other vendors also sell headbands too.  And some people find suitable headbands in shops nearby.  People get creative.  Anything that works best for you is a good idea.  If changing out your glasses solves it and that is an option for you, that sounds good too.

Just be sure to keep your Sonnet mics positioned correctly if you are not in omni mic setting.  I believe most people are activated in Natural mic setting.  That requires the Sonnet mics to be positioned correctly.

• HearPeers Heroes

I wear glasses too. Mine have been ok. I do have moleskin on my processor though. It was tender the first day. As for the magnet I have changed mine already it was too strong and I am at a 2+ right now. Works great no discomfort. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston my Audi gave me moleskin. It is actually for corns and bunions so you can find it in the drug store under the foot care section. Comes in sheets about six inches long. Two inches wide. ITs sift snd fuzzy. Pale skin colour. She cut it to size by tracing the shape onto the sheet.  

image.jpg

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hm, interesting, @Kara of Canada, I was assuming that the discomfort was because the thickness of the glasses and the processor combined was bothering me, not so much the hardness of it, but with the residual nerve sensitivity in the ear, who knows?  I could get moleskin pretty easily and try that.  I'm seeing my audiologist again on Tuesday and can discuss it then.  Hmmmmmm.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hm, interesting, @Kara of Canada, I was assuming that the discomfort was because the thickness of the glasses and the processor combined was bothering me, not so much the hardness of it, but with the residual nerve sensitivity in the ear, who knows?  I could get moleskin pretty easily and try that.  I'm seeing my audiologist again on Tuesday and can discuss it then.  Hmmmmmm.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Just as follow-up, the pain is pretty rare now.  I think it was because my processor sits right on my incision.  And the incision is over a whole area that's quite tender and healing, post-surgery.

I'm still glad I got my other glasses, though.  They helped a lot even if it was short-term.