Mapping

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Is there someone here who understands the mapping process and can explain it to me?  It seems, in my first two times, that we primarily adjusted volume.  How does that help with clarity?

Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

I think @hadron had a link to great info about MAPs.

Basically, there are several things that are set in addition to MCL (most comfortable loudness levels).  

Speech processing FS4, FS4p, FS, HDCIS

Compression: 3:1, 2:1, 2.5:1, 3.5:1

MAPLAW 500, 750, 1000

Frequency range 100-8500 Hz,.....

Thresholds: tested, set at zero, set at 10% of MCLs

MCL: most comfortable loudness

Pulse width can be adjusted

Electrodes can be turned off

Sonnet mic setting: natural, adaptive, omni, auto-adaptive

windblock:  off, mild, strong

and other items too.

BUT in the earliest MAPs, our audiologists tend to use their own or Med-El’s defaults for many items and test our MCLs.  Our auditory system needs to stabilize a bit and then fine tuning our MAPs is possible.

There is a good resource from Jace Wolfe but since it is a few years old, it doesn’t have all of the newest Med-El features explained in detail.

If you ask your audiologist, she should be able to print out a programming report that will list all of your MAP settings.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes mapping is very intricate and involves many things that play into our way of “hearing”  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston 

I don’t have technical info like everyone else...but I think it builds tolerance in part. At least for me. I had hypersensitivity due to 2 previous surgeries and I had a low threshold for loud sounds. That is definitely not the case today. I can tolerate loud noises extremely well and my other ear follows well strangely.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, everyone!  I have an appointment on Wednesday and want to understand better - this will give me an idea of what to even ask the audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck at your appt Mary.

I enjoy learning about my CIs and MAPping.  However, my awesome audiologist takes all of my non-scientific descriptions and somehow magically tweaks my MAPs.  She is amazing.

We don’t have to understand any of it.  We just need to be good reporters of what sounds good, what sounds off, etc.

I think CI MAPping is a science and an art.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston welcome to HearPeers. I haben't been on HearPeers recently. It is good to see it is doing well.

Raising the volume increases the number of auditory neurons being excited. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing where in your auditory system neurons are failing or do not exist so it important to attain a good amount of volume.

Your brain will adapt to the increased volume through a process called brain plasticity. Keep using the processor and you should notice the volume is getting more comfortable.

Identifying low volume and raising it is critical to keeping your mapping programs loud but comfortable.

Can a new mapping program be too loud? For those recently implanted new programs can seem overwhelming.  If you have used a new program for a few weeks and the loudness is not comfortable it is probably too loud and should be modified.

4 hours ago, hadron said:

Your brain will adapt to the increased volume through a process called brain plasticity. Keep using the processor and you should notice the volume is getting more comfortable.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I was telling in my thread where I'm reporting my daily progress, that the increased volume during mapping suddenly becomes too soft and you want more. At least in my case it has been very fast, my audi today left me 3 programs from lower to highest and I'm already in the highest one.... and I want more!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

I got a new map today and two new programs.  I have more volume but also we eliminated some of the whispery sounds that I've been hearing in voices.  I am still not hearing clearly but I *am* hearing.  This week at work I stopped using my hearing aid, and while it's taking a bit more focus from me to stay in all the discussions in the meetings, it's working.  I think that I'll progress better if I can continue to avoid using my hearing aid in the other ear.  This is a pretty huge deal for me in any case - my right ear, the implanted ear, has really not heard anything for most of the last ten years.  So even without the clarity of normal hearing this is progress!

Next week we have our ISO13485 2016 audit so I don't know if I'll be able to support that without the hearing aid but I plan to try.  The auditors can speak up too!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Sounds like you are doing wonderful! The best advice my audiologist gave me was - the more you challenge that ear the better off you'll be. Don't make it easy on that ear :) Of course work is a different story and sometimes we need our HA. Hope your audit went well!

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, the audit was postponed, @Megan L. - the registrar called our regulatory director up on Friday at 4:00 (!!) and said they couldn't come, apparently the auditor quit.  :-)  This is not exactly common, but auditors travel a lot and have a job that's - not really stressful, but tends to get a lot of scrutiny.  People do get burned out.  we are now looking at the end of July.  Much better for me!  I hope to be doing better without the HA then.  I think it's really helping me to avoid using it now, as I mentioned.  Mostly it's been okay, though I have to turn my head to maximize the sound with some people.  But there are a couple of co-workers who sound completely normal - apparently their voices are right in a frequency range that I can hear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow thats crazy @Mary Featherston Glad it worked out well in your favor! I have no doubt you will be doing better without the HA by then :) Sometimes on the weekend I forget to put my HA in and things sound "different" and I automatically turn my head in the direction of the sound/voice but it doesn't register that I forgot my HA ? So totally normal to turn your head to maximize sound. I'm glad you have a few normal sounding people you can listen to at work! The others will take a little longer, so hang in there!

• Like 2