how do you start your day?

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok folks, I have a question for you.

How do you start your day? do you ease into the morning quietly and then put your processors on or do you go straight to them and go "online" as soon as you wake up?

I'll start. For me i tend to like to ease into the morning in peace and quiet. Sit on the couch and drink a cup of coffee before the rest of the fam gets up.

I guess that is one benefit of having a CI or BB, you have to choice to go "online or offline" any time you choose. I LOVE my implants and thank MED-EL for changing my quality of life but i gotta be honest, there are days where it is nice just to take them off.

Anyone else?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok folks, I have a question for you.

How do you start your day? do you ease into the morning quietly and then put your processors on or do you go straight to them and go "online" as soon as you wake up?

I'll start. For me i tend to like to ease into the morning in peace and quiet. Sit on the couch and drink a cup of coffee before the rest of the fam gets up.

I guess that is one benefit of having a CI or BB, you have to choice to go "online or offline" any time you choose. I LOVE my implants and thank MED-EL for changing my quality of life but i gotta be honest, there are days where it is nice just to take them off.

Anyone else?

Well, I am online so it's my turn to continue the sausage.   Laughing

Just like you - I adore my BB but I need a quiet get up because I am used to that. There is also practical side of my choice, after my get-up I go under the shower so there is possibility to go with it because now there is no pressure of the headband who reminded me that my HA is here. However, I still have some phantom feeling of my headband sometimes so I have used to myself to check several times before going under the water.

I still do not have my BB to much so I haven't wished not to wear it but when I am "on call" I choose the compressed mode where I can hear people voices if my staff is calling me to the intervention but without background noises. I just need my peace of night without other sounds to disturb my sleep. I am wondering how normal-hearing people ever got asleep with all that noise around them. Tongue out

On the other side, when I am at home and do not need to go to work, I need some time of acclimatisation before I switch my BB - this is the signe: let's the circus begin and all hurry around me starts rolling.

Yes Adam, thats it !

We have the option to power off Laughing

At home, I don't use my HAs, except some friends are coming. Be alone with my 2 black cats, nothing is disturbing me, all is quiet and peaceful.

Thomas

• HearPeers Heroes

My tur. Ease in to it. Breakfast, coffee and an hour and a half in the pool doing exercises, walking and swimming, then I let the outside world in!

My son takes his time putting his implants on in the morning. I understand why he probably does it...I probably would too. I think mornings can be hectic for most people with children. But to be honest, it drives me a little bonkers. He'll call out to me while we're both getting ready for work/school, but I can't respond back to him. I have to walk to his room where he can see me to answer. It's quiet for him, but a lot of back and forth for me. Also, when he puts them on, I can't be too loud with cabinet doors, book bags, etc. When we finally get in the car, he is "on" and we can have our morning conversations to start the day. :)

I don't put them on until I am ready to go out the door.  If I have people staying I end up putting them in earlier.  However, I do notice that if I do put them in earlier I tend to muck about less compared to when I don't have them on.

Patrice, have you tried explaining your situation to your son? Then perhaps you can discuss how when he wants to talk to you, that he comes to find you and then you are talking in person. It's good training in manners.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting how we all have similar behaviour...Laughing

Same here!  Sometimes, I don't even put my processors on till I get to my office.  When people ask me why I don't put them on straight away, I say its like waking up in the dark and flipping the bathroom light on.  Kinda stings your eyes.  Same for me - I've been asleep and in silence for a few hours and really just need to ease into it.

Plus I'm just not a morning person.  The world can just leave me alone until my second cup of coffee. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

My ci and hearing aid go on as soon as the first person speaks! This could even mean mid afternoon sometimes! Surprised each day I stagger the fitting process. One day it'll be the ci first then the hearing aid next... then next day the hearing aid first then the ci second. This reminds me of how much better I am with the ci. I DO like the hearing aid though because it gives me the natural low frequency sound that my ci cannot give, the pair give a brilliant stereo effect for when I'm listening to music. Because the pair work so well together, I would not want a second ci in the other ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

Same here!  Sometimes, I don't even put my processors on till I get to my office.  When people ask me why I don't put them on straight away, I say its like waking up in the dark and flipping the bathroom light on.  Kinda stings your eyes.  Same for me - I've been asleep and in silence for a few hours and really just need to ease into it.

Plus I'm just not a morning person.  The world can just leave me alone until my second cup of coffee. :)

I sign this metaphor - immediately. Laughing

• HearPeers Heroes

Amen Nathan, dont talk to me until cup #2

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry but I'm different. I'm very much a morning person. Up at 5 a.m., wide awake and wanting the day to start. Only reason the processor goes n later is because I swim in the mornings.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy I am with you. I would prefer mornings over night any day of the week. I am up way before anybody else in the house. That being said I do enjoy my coffee and ease into things. My wife on the other gets out of bed turns on lights radio me not so much.

then again I get up at 4:30 in the morning to get my workout in (or at least I did before this latest development) before getting the fam moving.

I'm stealing the metaphor "going online" lol

I like to ease into it myself. Trust me when I say that I do like wearing my CI and that I do enjoy experiencing hearing but I also like that I have total control of it as well.  On my days off, I typically don't even bother putting it on because otherwise I can get SO much done without the distractions that I normally get when I'm online.

I think that this habit is mostly due to the fact that I don't trust my CI in moist environments (ie: sweat) so I just leave it in the dryer thing but I'm fine with it - I enjoy the silence when I have such a "honey-do" list.

I don't know why, but I like the quiet of the morning.  I'm sure my husband hates it, but I prefer to put my CI on after I've gotten the paper, fed me dog, showered and dressed for the day.  Of course, if the phone rings, I'm reaching for my CI fast!  Wonder why I know the phone rings????  I have a hearing dog ;-)

I don't know why, but I like the quiet of the morning.  I'm sure my husband hates it, but I prefer to put my CI on after I've gotten the paper, fed me dog, showered and dressed for the day.  Of course, if the phone rings, I'm reaching for my CI fast!  Wonder why I know the phone rings????  I have a hearing dog ;-)