New, challenging environment

Camille

I'm visiting my mom in Sweet Home Alabama and went to her church yesterday.  Actually her church was destroyed by a massive tornado in April 2011 so her church meets with another church (in their building) while mom's church is being rebuilt in it's original location.  Anyway, the church I went to yesterday is HUGE with mega high ceilings.  In my opinion the sound system is horrible.  I told mom I was amazed she could hear (mom got an implant on one ear 20 years ago).  Mom's husband wears two hearing aids and he said it was really hard for him to understand the words.  After 3+ years with my CI my word discrimination is pretty impressive, but yesterday I felt like I had just been activated ... it was depressing and I wanted to walk out.  For the first 20 minutes I played with my phone then I decided to try to hear.  Yes, try!  Basically I decided to consider the sermon auditory training...  An interesting thing happened, 10 - 15 minutes later I was actually discerning 8 out of 10 words!!!!  It was work!  It was not easy.  It required great concentration.  I know those of us who have had CIs for a while are constantly reminding new timers to be PATIENT, PRACTICE & PERSEVERE.... well, lesson learned, I still will face situations where I have to be patient, practice & persevere.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm visiting my mom in Sweet Home Alabama and went to her church yesterday.  Actually her church was destroyed by a massive tornado in April 2011 so her church meets with another church (in their building) while mom's church is being rebuilt in it's original location.  Anyway, the church I went to yesterday is HUGE with mega high ceilings.  In my opinion the sound system is horrible.  I told mom I was amazed she could hear (mom got an implant on one ear 20 years ago).  Mom's husband wears two hearing aids and he said it was really hard for him to understand the words.  After 3+ years with my CI my word discrimination is pretty impressive, but yesterday I felt like I had just been activated ... it was depressing and I wanted to walk out.  For the first 20 minutes I played with my phone then I decided to try to hear.  Yes, try!  Basically I decided to consider the sermon auditory training...  An interesting thing happened, 10 - 15 minutes later I was actually discerning 8 out of 10 words!!!!  It was work!  It was not easy.  It required great concentration.  I know those of us who have had CIs for a while are constantly reminding new timers to be PATIENT, PRACTICE & PERSEVERE.... well, lesson learned, I still will face situations where I have to be patient, practice & persevere.

Definitely, Sometimes I think I have a problem with regular talk, on the other side I hear some hardly understandable sounds...

Concentration is the key.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's the beauty of the 3 p's. there's no end date on them.Wink