My 4-month mapping

Leblisa

It was a nice experience, made a bit more special because of the fact a MedEl representative happened to be there for it.  She and my audi did a fair amount of technical talking and I could see she was giving some valuable clinical 'pearls' of information to my audi, who was soaking it all up.  They did my mapping together and then into the sound booth I went.

I don't mean to brag, but only to share my amazement at the marvel of modern technology in combination with the human brain's willingness to work with new stimulation, even after 40 years of hearing aid (HA) use!

Prior to surgery, with just my right HA, I scored 8% on the sentences test.  Last month with just the CI I scored 60% (80% with CI and HA together) and yesterday I scored 80% with just the CI and 90% in combination with my HA - amazing to me!  Especially at just 4 months post-operation and 3 months activated.

My audi has scheduled me to return in 3 months and I'm hoping to get a 100% score with both CI/HA at that next date!

Lisa,

On behalf of the RONDO Appreciation Society, I want to award you the award of "You rock with oak leaves, acorns and blackberries".  those scores are unbelievable.

Congratulations and may your hearing continue to increase in comprehension.

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa,

Brag away!!!! That is so awesome. That much improvement so early is pretty neat. And just think, it should get better. Remember the patience though,

Adam

I'm totally patient, Adam, because the results have already exceeded my expectations so much.

One of these days I need to get over my fear of phones and try that; also haven't gone to a movie, so, new challenges await!

• HearPeers Heroes

Of course - but this amazing results should stimulate you further. Laughing

• HearPeers Heroes

Lisa i have no doubt you are patient. I'm sure in your line of work, you tell your people the same thing. when you go for the phone, i would try to find a phone that is rated T3 or T4 and M3 or M4. I'm not sure if you know what this means, apologies if you already know. it involves the strength or quality of the Telecoil ability  and the Mic. They are rated 1 to 4, 4 being the best.

Adam

Lisa, so very happy for you! Great that you're doing so good so fast.

A little tip from my daughter, she loves her Quattro bluetooth for phone use. :)

Looking forward to checking back with you on your progress.

Well done Lisa those are amazing results esp at 4mths. What an amazing world that awaits you and the fun you will have exploring it :) You should totally be able to cope with the movies given those results.

Thanks for the phone tips and encouragement.

I do find comprehending people in groups is still very hard though - but at least they're not completely-out-of-the-question like before.

• HearPeers Heroes

Group settings for me took a while. it also depended on who was in the group. certain peoples voices were a little more difficult to pick out. Keep practicing Lisa you are doing amazingly well.

Lisa,  when in crowd situations, here's what I do. I turn the sensitivity way down and leave the volume alone or adjust it downwards slightly. This action has the effect of helping the automatic volume control. you are effectively shutting off the people outside your comfort hearing zone. You may have to play with the settings to find what works for you. it is a thought!

That's a great tip John!  I don't think I would have thought of it that way; I think I was INcreasing the sensitivity, thinking that would be the better way to go.  I'll experiment at my next meeting.

• HearPeers Heroes

I like that tip John I will try it on Friday at a retirement party for my former boss. I was a little apprehensive attending the function with so many people. Time to play and experiment.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's the spirit Sandy! sometimes you just have to dive in and see what works and what doesn't. No matter how you look at it, your brain is still getting work for the future.

So happy for you!  Knowing this helps me becuase this week's mapping is so differnt for me and I am a little discouraged.  I hear doors closing (really loud), paper rattling, road noises, etc (some of these I have no clue what they are and where they come from) but voices are hard because I'm hearing so much other stuff!!  I am 7 weeks post activation.  I thought I did better after my last mapping but now they are trying to really fine tune the CI.  So CONGRATS and thanks for sharing!!!

Janet, you may want to ask your audi to give several programs where the electrode strength is the same but the sensitivity is adjusted! What you are experiencing is a minor road bump as you are DEFINITELY progressing.  You may also want to leave the sensitivity alone and play with the volume.  Trial and error is a good approach.  good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

Janet, my audiologist gave me four different programs. Program 1 is the one I'm using daily, program 2 is the same as program 1, program 3 is a comfort level program with electrode 12 turned down. I had this electrode turned off but found it too hard to hear. Program 4 is FSP for music and tv. It's all about experimenting and finding what' works best for you. I've been profoundly deaf for at least 40 years and am just now building up my tolerance to both volume and high pitch (which is all new to me). I have to keep reciting the 3 Ps and then you have the occasional WOW moment to make it worthwhile. Keep plugging away and as I've been told, one day we will look back and laugh at this!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Sandy,

You mention that Program 4 uses the Fine Structure Processing (FSP) coding strategy.

Can you tell me what coding strategies Programs 1-3 are using?

The previous MED-EL coding strategies were CIS+, and HDCIS.

I did try CIS+ when I received my OPUS-2 but found I could understand speech better with FSP.

I use FSP on all my programs and the audiologist then tweaks it a bit for each program. For example for one program a filter is used to understand speech better in a noisy environment.

The latest versions of FSP are FS4 and FS4P (Parallel) coding strategies (part of the MAESTRO 4.0 software), which aim at better frequency coding in the low- to mid-frequencies.

My MED-EL area audiologist told me that FS4 & FS4P have not been approved yet in the U.S.

So I believe users in the U.S. are currently using Maestro 3.0 with FS3 Fine Structure Processing (if I am wrong please let me know).

Maestro 4.0 with FS4 and FS4P has been approved in most of the other countries.

If someone is using FS4 and/or FS4P it would be great if you could tell us of any improvements you have seen over FS3.