Samba

hillygarden27

Hello...  I did register with HearPeers some years ago but there didn't seem to be much going on then and so I've just re-registered again today.
I've had bilateral middle ear implants for almost 10 years and I have been using the Vibrant Soundbridge for all that time. 

I now have two Samba processors but I find the remote more difficult to use because the beeping (to change settings) seems to overlap on both of them and it's difficult to know whether you've changed one processor or both of them. I have kept going back to the VS for this reason and I prefer them but I realise that I must get on with the Samba as it is the future. It's fine operating just one... anyone else have this problem? Many thanks.   

Many thanks - I appreciate it :)

I also have a problem with echoing sound and my own voice sounds nasal. 

We spent ages on the programming but it's difficult to tell until I am using it all the time.

If anyone has had the same experience it would be helpful - thank you.

Edited by Hils27
more questions!

• HearPeers Heroes

I don’t know much about Samba but do you use a fine tuner for program changes like the other CIs? 

Hi Kara

I am trying to get used to the new remote -  it doesn't tell me which programme I'm on and the programmes sound very similar. I think the Soundbridge control is quite different to CIs as I have friends with CIs who operate their remotes easily. 

I also have a problem with a constant echo noise. Part of my problem is that I have had my previous Amande processors for nearly 10 years and it's hard adjusting to a completely new kind of processor. 
I'm sure they'll get it right in the end in London but I just wondered if anybody else had had the same teething problems as me.  Many thanks.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello folks,

to finally drop in as I have promised to Mary who signaled me to pm to revive me from the Sleeping Beauty mode.

Let’s work - not making excuses...

At first, @Hils27 Before Samba, the actual processor was Amade: you must thought on that when you mentioned VS, because the VS is the whole system: outer and inner part, but Samba and amade are - the outer.

Secondly, using of remote control when you have two implants is that you put it in the median line, right beneath the chin. Doing like this you can navigate with both Sambas at the same time.

Regarding echoing, it’s almost always the matter of the proper fitting. Did you test your Sambas in the free field speech audiometry.

Hi Ivana
Thank you for your reply.
I was issued with the samba processors last year but I didn't get on with them so I went back to the Amande - now I have no choice as the Amande will be discontinued. I changed without difficulty to the Amande from the previous AP. In the last thirty years I have adapted to new hearing aids and in the last ten years to various processors. I still use a hearing aid for the loop as I use the loop a lot and I find it an advantage because I then have natural sound coming through both the APs and the loop sound coming into my ear - like having three ears! I liked having the control settings on the actual Amande processor rather than on remote because sometimes I like to change the setting on just one ear. Very difficult to do with the remote as it tends to change both processors together. I guess I will have to get used to it.
However,  the echo sound concerns me more and that is why I wondered if anyone else had the same problem. I have had an audio speech test in the past but I wasn't given one on this occasion.
I have a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears - the loss is virtually identical. 
They have been very helpful in London at the hospital and I'm sure we will get it sorted out eventually. Hils27

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, Hils27 said:

Hi Ivana
Thank you for your reply.
I was issued with the samba processors last year but I didn't get on with them so I went back to the Amande - now I have no choice as the Amande will be discontinued. I changed without difficulty to the Amande from the previous AP. In the last thirty years I have adapted to new hearing aids and in the last ten years to various processors. I still use a hearing aid for the loop as I use the loop a lot and I find it an advantage because I then have natural sound coming through both the APs and the loop sound coming into my ear - like having three ears! I liked having the control settings on the actual Amande processor rather than on remote because sometimes I like to change the setting on just one ear. Very difficult to do with the remote as it tends to change both processors together. I guess I will have to get used to it.
However,  the echo sound concerns me more and that is why I wondered if anyone else had the same problem. I have had an audio speech test in the past but I wasn't given one on this occasion.
I have a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears - the loss is virtually identical. 
They have been very helpful in London at the hospital and I'm sure we will get it sorted out eventually. Hils27

Well Hils27,

I advise you to ask for a free-field tonal audiogram - my clinical engineer direct from the MedEL says that’s the best way to make fine tunning of your processors.

Echo can be a problem in the beginning of using of new processors.

if you get Siemens miniTek you don’t need to have a remote control. There is also a mobile phone program which do basically same: change programs and turn up or turn down volume.

If you put miniTek or remote in a mid line you control both processors; if you want to control them separately, you need to move cliser miniTek to the side where the processor you want to control - is. 

It’s pretty easy and convenient to use it.

I find Samba better than Amade because sound quality is much better, fine structure is much more smooth... there are more channels in Samba. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ivana Marinac

Do Sambas have telecoil?

I read that the Siemens miniTEK has telecoil but it needs to be turned on by your audiologist.  I’m wondering if that is how Samba users access looped theaters?

Hi Mary Beth
Thank you - there is a loop on the Minitec but the sound is nowhere near as good as it is with my hearing aid. I use the loop at home for television and also in public buildings. I can carry on using my hearing aid with the loop and APs when necessary so it's not really too much of an issue  - I just like to turn off one of them but that's my own peculiar habit and I will have to get around it!

I'm more concerned with the echoing sound really. Thank you for getting back to me. Hils27

Thanks Ivana - that's very helpful and I can tell that the quality of sound is good with the Sambas - I go back again in a few weeks and will ask about the things that you have mentioned. Hils27

• HearPeers Heroes
19 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Ivana Marinac

Do Sambas have telecoil?

I read that the Siemens miniTEK has telecoil but it needs to be turned on by your audiologist.  I’m wondering if that is how Samba users access looped theaters?

Yes, and yes!

Nothing without the audiologist and - a special wire for it.

There is no looped theatres in Croatia and I do not really need it so I’ve never asked for it.

However, I could imagine that sound in my head: cristal clear without any interference...

• HearPeers Heroes
9 hours ago, Hils27 said:

Hi Mary Beth
Thank you - there is a loop on the Minitec but the sound is nowhere near as good as it is with my hearing aid. I use the loop at home for television and also in public buildings. I can carry on using my hearing aid with the loop and APs when necessary so it's not really too much of an issue  - I just like to turn off one of them but that's my own peculiar habit and I will have to get around it!

I'm more concerned with the echoing sound really. Thank you for getting back to me. Hils27

This doesn’t sound good - either your processor is a problematic part, either I would advise checking on how your implant stays in its bed.

Sound should be cristal clear, not nearly having these problems. 

You shouldn’t have problem regarding adapting, esoecially if your hearing aud gives you a more superior quality. The impant is nearer than the aid so - there shouldn’t be such differences...