Research opportunity for SSD in USA

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I participate in cochlear implant research every year.  It’s part of my way of paying it forward in thanks to those who came before me.  And I like it!  Smile.  I love learning about our CIs.

I came across this research opportunity in the US for single sided deaf with Med-El CI.  I am not eligible since I am bilateral CI but sharing in case anyone is eligible and interested.

The Arizona State University Cochlear Implant Research Lab is recruiting SSD individuals implanted with a Med-EL cochlear implant. We require the individual to have normal hearing in the opposite ear. Testing takes two days. We pay a honorarium for time plus travel expenses. The goal of the project is to understand what the cochlear implant sounds like and how that relates to how deep the internal electrode was inserted during surgery. The study does require a CT scan while in Arizona to measure the insertion depth of the electrode. Interested individuals can contact me at SarahJnatale@asu.edu