CI Market Share

jpl2ci

This is very interesting, though not surprising.  Cochlear has had the lion's share of the global market for many years without having changed their platform.  Med-El and AB have capitalized on this and the results are showing.  Neurelec has been around for a while, but never really gained a foothold outside of Europe.  It'll be interesting to see, now that its been acquired by the William Demant Group, what direction it will go in.

Also, let's not forget the Chinese Cochlear Implant Co. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-28/a-chinese-hearing-implant-takes-aim-at-cochlear

it takes a very long time to get FDA approval but you can't rule them out.

comments welcome!

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely interesting, but they are talking about acquiring new markets too soon. They didn't conquer even their own. I am not defending anyone but you have to see what is real value of their device.

If I am reading correctly, in the first article chinese price was mentioned as 7000USD, and in the other - 16 000USD. What I am really missing here?

The second price is not so competitive - in Croatia, average price of  CI is on government yearly procuration is cca 16000 USD and we buy cca 30 devices per year. Surprised

• HearPeers Heroes

This is very interesting, though not surprising.  Cochlear has had the lion's share of the global market for many years without having changed their platform.  Med-El and AB have capitalized on this and the results are showing.  Neurelec has been around for a while, but never really gained a foothold outside of Europe.  It'll be interesting to see, now that its been acquired by the William Demant Group, what direction it will go in.

Actually they didn't even got much out of France. Pretty autistic company I would say.

• HearPeers Heroes

with more players in the game, it encourages everybody to up their game. What they need to watch out for is trying to improve too much too soon. The industry sure does not need any more recalls. As far a neurelec, I'm not sure why they really havent made too much ground outside of France. Looks a lot like a Bi-Cros hearing aid which i had. Maybe the wire connecting the two, turned people off. not sure.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting to see China getting into the mix. Next few years should be interesting.

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely - if someone can, investment into bio-technical companies will be worth more than ever.