Tinnitus and dizziness after CI op - some questions

Marko

Hi I had my CI operation on my right side last Monday (I am profoundly Deaf in both ears) and ever since, my tinnitus in the CI ear has gotten considerably worse along with dizziness - it even sounds different and much louder.  I had tinnitus before the surgery anyway but it’s scary how it has intensified.  I know this is fairly common and should get better after activation - but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal with it? The same ear also feels very full - probably of fluid - which I think is maybe causing the tinnitus. 

Is there any exercises that I can do to help my ear drain the fluids more quickly? I do practise yoga but I’m scared having my head down below so much may might make the dizziness and tinnitus much worse,

I’m also tempted to give my nose a good blow to see if it helps clear my ear a bit - can I give it a go?

Also a weird thing I’ve noticed after the op is that when I look up - the tinnitus gets a lot louder then settles down when I look back down.  Has anyone experienced this too? It also gets louder when I lie down on my bed on the pillows - so I’m not sleeping great either.

I’ll really appreciate any advice towards this - it’s definitely a very difficult time for me at the moment. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Marko

Congratulations on your CI surgery.

I was given a list of rules to follow post surgery and nose blowing was banned for 6 weeks I believe.

The sounds of tinnitus post surgery were different than my regular tinnitus too.  They settled down in time.  And when my processor is on, I don’t notice my tinnitus at all.

Hang in there.  It will get better.  I kept my head elevated when resting for awhile.

Thank you for your advice Mary Beth and it’s very reassuring to hear that someone else has gone through a similar thing to me.  How long did it take for your tinnitus to settle down post surgery before activiation?

For me it’s been three days post surgery and the tinnitus and dizziness hasn’t improved at all.  It’s so difficult not being able to do anything to help it. I would usually do yoga or go running to help distract me from tinnitus but that’s not an option now for the next few weeks. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Take it easy, Marko.  I had vertigo for just one day, but the tinnitus was gradually - very gradually - reduced to the level it's b45een at for the last 45 years.  The good news is that you won't hear it with your processor turned on.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marko

I don’t actually remember how long the strange tinnitus lasted post surgery.  Sorry.

I did not experience any vertigo issues.

I am sorry your recovery had been difficult so far.  Try to rest.  I hope things improve soon.

When you get activated and start learning to listen with your CI, the fun begins.

• 2 years later...

@Marko I realize it's been a hot minute since you had the surgery but do you recall when your vertigo went away? I'm experiencing the same issues post-op 

Thanks and I hope your CI journey is all well now!

Beth