CI for my baby

anita

Hi !

I'm a new user here. My one year baby girl will do CI in January. We are so stressed out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Anita,

Welcome to hearpeers, there is no need to be stressed out. I realize that is your baby and surgery can be anxiety time for you. Our son had to have surgery when he was 9 months old and we were very nervous. yuo need to trust the doctor you have and try to remember that Cochlear implant surgeries are very commonplace these days.

Try to look forward to the fact that she will be able to hear. How exciting is that?

There are many here on this forum all reallt great people that will be here to support and encourage you as the date gets closer. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you can. you can share as much or as little as you would like about your situation. We look forward to getting to know you.

adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Anita from your northwestern neighbour from Croatia! Laughing

Ask whatever you wish - here are lots of experienced users who can help you in each moment you need support or just have a question. And remember - there are no stupid questions. Wink

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it. There are so many questions without answers in my head. I cant beleive that this happened to us. I didnt have any problems during pregnancy neither during birth. My baby didnt pass any illness. We don't have anyone in our family with hearing loss. As time passed we realized that she wasn't reacting to noises. She passed two times OAE test and failed ABR test. She was diagnosed with profound hearing loss at both ears. So we decided to do CI surgery in January. Its hard decision but we dont have other choise.

Anita

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it. There are so many questions without answers in my head. I cant beleive that this happened to us. I didnt have any problems during pregnancy neither during birth. My baby didnt pass any illness. We don't have anyone in our family with hearing loss. As time passed we realized that she wasn't reacting to noises. She passed two times OAE test and failed ABR test. She was diagnosed with profound hearing loss at both ears. So we decided to do CI surgery in January. Its hard decision but we dont have other choise.

Anita

Don't take it so tragically - it happened, there is nothing you can do and there were nothing what you can do to prevent this. It just happened.

In our present time, your child has possibilities to be whatever she wants to be with CI implant(s). Invest in her rehabilitation after the implantation and you'll see - there won't be regrets. Actually, you can feel happy enough to know there is cochlear implantation at present way.

I knew how I was impressed when I have seen a child in the service of my older colleague when CI implanted child whispered to her dad if he could ask the doctor whether she can use a mobile phone. Extraordinary!

I am an ENT senior resident at one of two finest hospitals in Croatia who have extensive experience in the field of cochlear implantation. This year we have reached the number of 400 unilateral cochlear implantations. This project which started with enourmous support of whole Croatian population reached its political and individual goal through our patients. We now have enormous experience with so many implanted people: grown-up or kids reaching their dreams.

My story is little bit different, born with bilateral conductive hearing loss due to my congenital anomaly - I got the opportunity lately to have my life in full spectrum. But it did come - invest in your child future: believe me, you won't ever tell that you made a mistake.

Hvala Ivana !  I know few words in Serbian Smile

Thanks a lot for your comments. It really helps me get through our situation. The surgery is scheduled for January 09. It will be done in Wels, Austria.  We hope that everything will go well.

I know that will be long journey after surgery. I'm going to quit my job cause of my daughter.

Will my child's hearing be normal after implantation? When will my baby start babbling, after activation ? As I said, lot of questions in my head.

Thanks in advance.

Anita

• HearPeers Heroes

anita, it is giing to take some time and a kot of practice. studies show that the earlier you impkant yourchild, thuer chances for success increase dramatically. each oerson is different thiough and will progress at different rates. just take your time, be patient and practice a lot. i am sure you will be amazed at how quickly she wull orogress

adam

Hi Anita, Welcome to HearPeers! You wrote: "Will my child's hearing be normal after implantation? When will my baby start babbling, after activation ? As I said, lot of questions in my head." and here is my response.

Normal hearing varies from individual to individual. BUT, the brain's ability to adapt, plasticity, is the greatest before roughly 3 years of age. This means that she will be able to discern the sounds and speech in her surroundings as the new normal and so there will be no difference. Although much older, I have been implanted for about 3.5 years and at first everything was robotic, Darth Vader, chipmunks on helium and other sounds.  After a while the sounds reverted to normal, all robots and cartoon characters went away! when your daughter is activated she will start receiving stimulation across many frequencies and it may be disconcerting to her. However since children are so adaptable she should start reveling in her new sounds and babbling.

You have taken a courageous step and made an excellent choice in MedEl.  All of us want our fellow forum members to be as successful as possible.  please keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hvala Ivana !  I know few words in Serbian Smile

Thanks a lot for your comments. It really helps me get through our situation. The surgery is scheduled for January 09. It will be done in Wels, Austria.  We hope that everything will go well.

I know that will be long journey after surgery. I'm going to quit my job cause of my daughter.

Will my child's hearing be normal after implantation? When will my baby start babbling, after activation ? As I said, lot of questions in my head.

Thanks in advance.

Anita

Hello Anita,

excellent - almost you could came to us Wink

For real, Austria is great country and hospital where I work have an outstanding cooperation with major ENT Clinics from Austria thankfully to the traditional influence of German and Austrian medicine at Croatian.

How is the situation with cochlear implantation program in Albania? In Croatia we have a state funded program and we cooperate with both most important companies until now. Our program lasts 16 years and few months ago we have implanted over 400 people and we are major CI implant Centre in Croatia. For the size of my country, we take it as decent number.

Regarding your question, as guys already responded to you - your child will have best possibilities for developing her best potential, but... But - the operation is just a part of process - the beginning. A rehabilitation is second part and equally important part. Yu should understand that her cochlea can not be fixed in a way of natural normality but CI will replace her cochlea so her development will be as any other "normal" child. Just do not forget - rehabilitation.

I would advise you start looking for in advance a person who will be able to help in that part. But do not forget that you and your husband are equally important because your baby will spent most of her time with you, so you will also have to be involved in her rehabilitation process. Do not ever underestimate your position as parents.

Hopefully, you are satisfied with my answer and if you wish to know something else or more - ask as many as you wish. Wink