Parent of a bilaterally implanted child

HeatherB

Hi, My name is Heather.  I live in Chicago IL and have 4 kids.  My youngest is 7 and bilaterally implanted (MEDEL).  My daughter is incredible!  She dances, swims, sings on key, plays piano and has a fun loving cheerful spirit that makes people laugh and smile.  See photo.  We are always looking for ways to help her with education and life and hope to find more efficient ways to take care of her equipment and needs.  

Also, I am on the board of FHSR (Foundation for Hearing and Speech Rehabilitation, organization that helps kids with deafness/hearing loss fully experience life through education, support & equipment).  Volunteering for this organization has allowed me to meet, work with, learn from and help the most amazing people.    I am looking forward to learning from the members of the forum and to help them out in any way I can.  

DSC_0944.JPG

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Heather B!

Your daughter looks familiar.  By any chance did your family participate in the Med-El Ideas event last year in Innsbruck?

It is terrific to have you on HearPeers. 

• HearPeers Heroes

What are you looking for when you say “more efficient ways to take care of her equipment”?

Maybe some HearPeer members will have suggestions.

Yes! My son won the Ideas4ears competition.  See the MED-EL facebook page for a video under Avery & Raquel.  We decided to make it a family trip of 2 weeks in Europe.  Innsbruck is absolutely beautiful and the people we met from MED-EL and families from all over the world are amazing.  The best part was getting to meet the technicians that actually made her cochlear implant in person.  How can you say thank you enough for the gift they have given her? 

Need help with organizing all the tiny components that come with the processors at home and while travelling.  Any advice from forum members would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Heather B said:

Need help with organizing all the tiny components that come with the processors at home and while travelling.  Any advice from forum members would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

At home I use a wooden box with drawers, and for carrying backup processors and whatnot I use the zipper case that Med_El provided in my kit.  I will have to figure out how to pack the dry box and whatnot before we go on vacation - I was only implanted last year and haven't traveled with CIs yet.

CI Box.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Heather B

Yes Innsbruck is amazing and meeting the associates who made our implants is so very special.  I am glad your family had that opportunity.

At home I use this 3 drawer storage unit.  I like that it has a handle in case of emergencies.  I can grab it and go.

Traveling I bring the black zippered case Med-El included in the kits.  Waterwear items are in a ziplock.