Loss of Taste

drobinson

Since my last implant everything taste like salt.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My Dr. tells me it will go away, but it has been almost 3 months.

• HearPeers Heroes

An injury of chorda tympani, Donald, is responsible for that.

I have altered sense of taste on the very far right side of my tongue too.  To me, everything that is supposed to be salty tastes 'dry', even tho that's not a taste.

I had my surgery in late June and can say it's very slowwwwly improving.

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting as I've never heard of this nor have I noticed any change in my tastes.  Are you still feeling this way?

• 2 weeks later...

No improvement yet.  I spoke wuth the Dr and he advised me to take multivitamins to assist in the healing process.

Ivana, do you have any idea how long this injury takes to heal?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Donald,

Unfortunately, some people never recover their taste completely especially if this nerve is completely destructed.

Sorry because I do not have comfort word...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Donald - don't give up!  When I had my first implant food tasted like what I think tin must taste like... it wasn't salty, but not good.  Also the inside of my mouth felt "deadened" like when you go to the dentist.  Both lasted about 6 months, but they did go away.  I had my second implant 1.15.14 and didn't experience any change in taste.

Now, I am having additional problems.  I have a little tinnitus in my left ear now, that I didn't have before, but, 3 or 4 times a day I get this awful loud deep tone hum.  It is so load I have to remove my processor.  I can still hear it , but it is amplified when I wear my processor.  I am afraid it is being generated from the implant.  It comes and goes about 3 or 4 times a day and sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night.

My Dr. did an excellent job on my right ear, but, I feel like he butchered me on my left ear.  I still have residual hearing on my right ear, but absolutely nothing on my left ear except this damn loud intermittent "dial tone". Also, he placed the implant much lower on my left side so they had to order me a special magnet to hold my coil in place.  He gave me a photo of the 1st operation on the right ear, but, conveniently misplaced the one of my left ear.

I am afraid we're going to have to do the left ear over again.

• HearPeers Heroes

Donald,

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with your second ear. Unfortunately results good or bad for one ear are not a predictor for how the other ear will respond. I would imagine your surgeon did everything the second time that he did with the first, your second ear just responded differently. I can't really comment on the taste. I did not have any issues with that but I did have raging tinnitus for a few months. It finally settled down slowly but I thought it would never go away. I'm hoping in your case it will. Try to be patient.

Adam

I have an appointment next week hoping reprogramming will help.

About 30 minutes after I startup my left ear, every morning, the loud tone kicks in and I have to remove it because it distorts my hearing so much I can't understand regular speech.  The tone is still there, but not as loud.

I don't know if the implant can cause this loud tone by itself, but, activating it (attaching the processor) seems to trigger it (the loud tone).

I am hoping Adam is correct and it will eventually go away, but in the meantime, I am losing valuable time in learning to hear out of my left ear when I have to remove the processor every time the loud tone starts.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I had an adjustment & my volume turned down (was too load) to see if it helps.  The load tone still occurs, but less frequently.  Hopefully time will heal. Everything still has a salty taste.  I don't know if it is diminishing or I am getting used to it.

Tequila & lime (no salt neededSmile)

I have got to say I hear a lot better than before.  I don't say "what?" as much, but I do catch myself saying it by habitWink.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Donald, at first I had the same problem of saying "what?". It was just habit. Now I catch myself before I say it and it hardly ever happens. I'm glad you are hearing better and it just keeps getting better. I very rarely need someone to repeat themselves now. It's usual people with soft voices, or it's a mumbler or they put their hand in front of their mouth. Although with the latter I've been practicing words without lip reading. It's hard but a necessary lesson in hearing.

• 2 years later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

My surgery was March 24th, 2016.

Everything was fine until about a month ago, when I noticed that the right edge of my tongue (implant side) was numb and taste was "off"

When I say "off" i mean bad, the taste of all food liquid or solid is bad on the right side. I chew only on the left to avoid nausea.

It has only improved slightly recently only to the point of reducing nausea.

I understand this has to do with the facial nerve associated with hearing. I seriously doubt that reprogramming will adjust this. Please tell me I am wrong and this will improve back to normal taste in time. Also, my right pinna is still slightly numb, VERY slightly. The surgeon told this will dissipate with 6 months. Will the taste return in tat time?

Do I need to pay the surgeon just to answer this question?

Thanks.

I got the same thing real bad like I burnt the tip of my tongue. operation was 6 weeks ago not much has changed

• HearPeers Heroes

All these problems are due to the surgical problems...

1) Loss of taste is connected with chorda tympani, facial nerve branch which is on the way during surgical drilling and access to the cochlea. Facial nerve is highly variable somewhat in its anatomical position so sometimes taste disturbance is due to nerve damage and sometimes because of still fresh surgery - time will show what is on the spot;

2) auricle numbness is also because of surgical cut of the nerve behind the auricle - great auricular nerve and is not connected with facial nerveslide_6.jpg; that is why different surgical schools have different approaches

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks that's great info dr frankenstien!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks that's great info dr frankenstien!!

You`re welcome...  :P  :P

I`m more like Batman :ph34r:  - resolving issues while you`re sleeping... (in the other part of the globe...)