I'm moving away from Rondo...

Leblisa

I've been moving towards using my Opus 2 more and my Rondo less...

It seems the Rondo sometimes feels a bit tight and my scalp needs a break, yet if I lower the magnet strength below a 3 it falls off too easily.

I like the flatness of the Opus2 magnet; it doesn't get knocked off when I rest my head on the couch or car headrest or when I run my hands through my hair.

I don't adore having something hanging on the ear (though lord knows I'm well-used to it) but I still get the benefit of no mold IN my ear.

It's so nice to have the 2 options!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yep, one size does not fit all so to speak. Pretty cool that you do have a choice.

• HearPeers Heroes

It's interesting with the Rondo. I've let my hair grow a little longer and now find it falls off easier than when it was short. I use the #2 magnet. I find the #3 magnet irritates my skin too much. It would be nice to have a choice but I think I would still prefer the Rondo and would find the BTE piece bothersome.

Hi Sandy, have you tried using the silicone "collar" that comes with the RONDO? That extra few millimeters may allow you to use the #3 magnet. I use the "collar" and the #3 magnet and also have short hair.  Just a thought, though. I am also prototype testing the Ear Gear cover for the RONDO so that could also be an option for the future.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi John, I do use the silicone collar all the time with the #2 magnet.

I'm curious to hear as much about this as I can. I'll be deciding whether I want a second Opus 2 or a second Rondo in a week and I'm really having a tough time deciding. I find the Rondo especially comfortable and I like that it's tethered. I'm a bit of a klutz and I knock my processors off regardless of Opus/Rondo, so having a safety line is a good idea for me. But I do find the sound quality of the Opus 2 slightly more natural for some reason. I know they are the same processor inside, but maybe it's the placement of the microphone? Not sure. The Opus 2 is not particularly comfortable to me; it's not bad, but nowhere near as comfortable as the Rondo. This recent cold snap has given me plenty of opportunity to test both out with various hats and the Opus 2 is the clear winner there. I find the Opus 2 works better in public, but I spend a lot of my time working alone or with only one other person and the Rondo seems perfect for that. At the moment, each processor has its strengths and weaknesses and each complements the other. I'm very glad I have one of each.

Tough decision!

• 4 weeks later...

John, we're excited to hear what you think about the Ear Gear for Rondo! They asked us to try it out, but the timing wasn't conducive to my crazy son's schedule. We love to use the Ear Gear with the Opus 2s. Jonathan loves his Skin-its though. I don't know if he would want to cover them up!

Patrice, As I define klutz I haven't gotten a Skin-it for either of my processors so covering them up is not an issue. Plus I am old and married!  Your son still has the opportunity to get people interested in him by his dazzling colorful covers.

The Ear Gears test went very well. I much preferred the second version to the first. The first had a mesh bottom and as Ear Gears was not sure of shape, each side was different. The second version had no mesh and was more form fitting. See picture below.

post-277-14302598882821_thumb.jpg

Patrice - surely you meant your son's crazy schedule, right?

John Lee – regarding the Ear Gear, with my limited experience wearing the Rondo, I don't recall sweat being much of an issue or a likelihood due to its positioning on my head. It has been some time though so I guess I just don't remember - I just thought that the Rondo had an advantage in that regard.

I wish I had the option of choosing between the Opus II and the Rondo. Both units have their unique qualities and characteristics and I still like wearing my Opus II. Having the ability to choose between which processor to wear would be invaluable though as I occasionally develop raw spots on my ear – if I had a Rondo, I could wear it for a while to let my ears heal fully. I don’t have such an option and have to wear it every day and therefore the sores don’t really get much of an opportunity to heal completely. I just coat it with nu-skin and suck it up!

Here in the UK we won't be allowed to have both a Rondo and an Opus 2. So I have been forced to think hard about which I want.

Although I haven't actually tried a Rondo, I base my assumptions on it sounding tha same as the Opus 2.

I would always worry about the Rondo falling off or getting knocked off. I also am pretty bald (folically challenged!) - ahem!, so I am a little concerned about the bulk of the Rondo if you cannot hide it with long hair.

But the most compelling reason I have against it is as follows....

I have for may years used a Phonak FM system (I have a high power Phonak Naida UP in my non-implanted ear). The FM system was pretty good (I had a receiver on both my HA and CI).

But recently I have found both my FM receivers require repairing (condensation damage over the years) - this would be very expensive.

So as an interim I tried some over-ear headphones (Bose - bluetooth too as it happens) - frankly I was amazed! - apart from the odd feedback issue with my HA (but the Naida has pretty good feedback control) I found the sound was sensational - as good as (if not better than) the FM system.

Now the point is I can only use these headphones because both the CI processor and HA are behind the ear with microphones on the ear. This would not be possible using the Rondo.

Interestingly although my HA is Low-tone (frequency transposition) I still for the first time for many many years can listen to music in true stereo.

Chuckie, when riding the TREK bike, ahem..., this is how I wear the OPII, see below.  Please note the FDA approved yellow headed safety diaper pins. What you really need to get is the ActiveWear mounting. see pic #2. It is also known as the BabyBTE but since we are adults, it is known as the ActiveWear.  I should be getting mine next week. The processors do not go on your ear and there is an extra long cable form the processor to the coil. EarGear covers help.

Andrew, it seems like you have now the best of both worlds.  congrats!

I find it MUCH easier to speak on the phone with the Opus 2 because of the location of the microphones.

I also like the rechargable batteries (vs the disposable ones that I change every 4 days).

Now that I've spent a little more time with each processor, I'm also finding that I prefer the Opus2. Maybe I just feel a little more balanced with my HA.  There is definitely a perceivable difference in sound between the two processors. I'm having a bit of a bionic moment right now as my mapping sessions have gone astray a bit, so I can't speak definitively on the sound issues. I will say that I spend a lot of my work day alone without a lot of dialog and in that situation, the Rondo is just wonderful. I absolutely forget it's there, it's so comfortable. But for most other purposes I most definitely prefer the Opus 2.  And I also really like the rechargeable batteries.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic has been near and dear to my heart because of the second processor I will be wearing 2.14.14.  In fact, I'm STILL second guessing my decision to go with a Opus 2 & a RONDO with the additional RONDO free program.

I'm much like Lisa in that I like the disposable batteries of the Opus 2, but hate having something behind my ear ... after wearing hearing aids for 30 years it's nice to have that space free.  I too think it's easier to talk on the phone with the Opus 2 due to the microphone location, but I have learned to turn my RONDO microphone towards my face and that helps.  I, too, have leaned against something and it would fall off Frown.

The RONDO is thicker than I'd like but my hair covers it fairly well.  Sandy, my hair is not thick, but I kind of pull it up and clear a space for the RONDO, then let the hair fall over it.  I wondered if that would help you?

Like Chris I've learned hats and caps work best with different processors.

At first I thought sound quality, especially with Bluetooth systems was better with Opus 2, but now I'm not so sure.

John, due to thin skin (a thick head, but evidently, thin skin), I am only able to use the magnet strength 1 for the RONDO so it falls off easier.  I've never thought about the silicone collar and magnet strength 2.  Thanks!

In spite of my continued questioning I made the right choice of processors, I'm very thankful we have choices!!!

This topic has been near and dear to my heart because of the second processor I will be wearing 2.14.14.  In fact, I'm STILL second guessing my decision to go with a Opus 2 & a RONDO with the additional RONDO free program.

I'm much like Lisa in that I like the disposable batteries of the Opus 2, but hate having something behind my ear ... after wearing hearing aids for 30 years it's nice to have that space free.  I too think it's easier to talk on the phone with the Opus 2 due to the microphone location, but I have learned to turn my RONDO microphone towards my face and that helps.  I, too, have leaned against something and it would fall off Frown.

The RONDO is thicker than I'd like but my hair covers it fairly well.  Sandy, my hair is not thick, but I kind of pull it up and clear a space for the RONDO, then let the hair fall over it.  I wondered if that would help you?

Like Chris I've learned hats and caps work best with different processors.

At first I thought sound quality, especially with Bluetooth systems was better with Opus 2, but now I'm not so sure.

John, due to thin skin (a thick head, but evidently, thin skin), I am only able to use the magnet strength 1 for the RONDO so it falls off easier.  I've never thought about the silicone collar and magnet strength 2.  Thanks!

In spite of my continued questioning I made the right choice of processors, I'm very thankful we have choices!!!