I'm going "BI" tomorrow - 1.15.14!!!

Camille

Of course I suspect everyone thinks I went "Bye" 8 weeks ago as I've been horribly absent from HearPeers....bad Camille!!!  In addition to the holidays, lots of travel, and lots of company, I've worked/wrestled to make a big decision...a second CI.  In fact, as I pondered a second CI I went back through old HearPeer postings to read what many of you have said about being bilaterally implanted.  My left ear was implanted in July 2010, and I've used a hearing aid in my right ear.  Between Nov. of 2012 and Dec. of 2013 I purchased 2 newest, latest, greatest, most powerful hearing aids.  The amplification I get is SO MINIMAL that the hearing aids are almost useless. When I was implanted in 2010 my right ear was my better ear, but now my right ear is so much worse than my left ear ever was... I honestly had a tear roll down my face at my testing/evaluation.  I mean I kind of thought this day would come, but like my first implant, it's sooner than I'd thought it would be...  It's hard to explain the mixed feelings I have... of course, the greatest is that I will hear as well on my right side as I do now on my left side with my CI, but I wonder what it's going to be...  After all, I've always told every CI candidate getting a CI is a uniquely different experience for everyone so I'm guessing my right side could be uniquely different from my left side??  Any comments, suggestions are most welcome!

• HearPeers Heroes

Camille, good luck tomorrow. I'm sure you will be absolutely amazed at what a difference it will make. I wish I had the option but so far adults in Ontario are only allowed one CI. Hopeully, that will change in the future. Keep us posted.

Camille,

I definitely understand the mixed feelings!  I know I am not long behind you; mine will likely be in 2014.  ( I also need a dental implant and don't want more than one implant/year, ha, ha!).

I hope all's going well for you today and that you are back posting soon.

BEST wishes,

Lisa

• HearPeers Heroes

Thumb up - say hello as soon as you feel good enough! :)

My son was initially implanted on his left ear at 12 months, then implanted on his right at 5 years old. He wore a hearing on on his right ear while waiting for insurance to approve the second implant. He hears better in noise and he can localize or find sounds better than with just one. However, he stills prefers his left side more than his right. He will take batteries out of his right side to replace batteries on the left.

I hope it all goes well for you!

Patrice

Thank you ladies for your well wishes!!!

I think how many times I tell people getting a CI is uniquely different for each person, and I've wondered how getting a second CI could be different than the first.  Well, I am delighted to say, from the surgical standpoint, it's been WAY easier than the first time around!!!!  The first time I had some anesthesia complications that required a long time in the recovery room and morphine for the pain in my throat.  This time I was home by noon!  The first time my mouth experienced a "deadened" sensation and a "tinny" taste for months.  This time not of that!  Like the first time as soon as the head bandage came off, no pain.  The feeling to my ear started to come back after 6 days.  Today, 8 days later, my surgeon fully released me.  One very good thing that is different is the first time I was using only a hearing aid to ear during the 4 weeks of healing prior to the first stimulation of the CI.  This time I have the power of my CI to hear.  In truth, I was getting so little out of my hearing aid, that my hearing today isn't much worse than 10 days ago when I was using my CI and my hearing aid.

(Lisa - I think one implant a year is a good rule!!!Wink)

Patrice - I wanted to thank you for sharing your son's perspective as I'm curious if my second CI is going to help me localize/find sounds better.  You are not the first person to tell me that so I'm looking forward to it!  Thanks again!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Camille, I'm glad everything went so well. Keep us informed of your progress. When do you get activated?

Curious Camille, your localization will be so much better. I found that it was almost scary how I was able to determine the origination of the sound.  Best wishes for a great activation.

Camille, that's great to hear about your surgery going so well! I have also been very "bad" and absent from HearPeers btw, December IS a very busy month every year, and this year even more so!

My daughter, Linnea, had about 10 years between her 1st and 2nd implant. It's really amazing how much better she hears with 2, and also her speech seams clearer wearing both CI's. Just like Patrice mentioned, she also still prefers her "older" CI to the new one. And we still practice with the newer side alone each day to get it caught up with the old one. I think she's doing great with it, but it definitely takes some time and practice.

I'm sure you will love hearing on both sides, can't wait to hear updates!

• HearPeers Heroes

I confirmed yesterday at my mapping that adults in Canada only get one CI. We are trying to change this, but like everything worthwhile, it's an uphill battle!

Thanks Miriam for the "grace" regarding business ;-0   And for the reminder of the work ahead of me to work with the new CI alone...  oh, I'll be glad to be down the learning curve a few months!

Sandy, my activation date is Feb. 14th ... hopefully better than a box of candy and flowers!!!  And I think it's crazy Canada only allows 1 CI - that's the first bad thing I've heard about Canada.  I'm sure the people making the rules ear with 2 ears *%#@#!