Singing in the ear

Eugene

My wife has a cochlear implant in left ear. She hears singing in that ear. Sometimes it’s so loud it drowns out her hearing. No doctors have any answers. Wanted to know if this is a common problem, and, if there’s anything that can be done about it.   Thank you Eugene 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eugene

That may be musical tinnitus.  Look it up online and see if that describes what she is hearing.

We’re pretty sure that’s what it is (at least that’s what the doctor says). Can anything be done to help it

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eugene

I’m sure your wife would love this to stop soon.  I have tinnitus bilaterally.  I’ve had it for decades.  When I received my CIs 4 years ago, the tinnitus was so much better with the CIs on.

It seems like your wife hears her tinnitus with her CI on.  Is that correct?

Pretty much all the time. She wears it all day. Takes it off at night. When things get quiet in the evening, it diminishes a little.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eugene

Your wife’s tinnitus experience is opposite of mine.  While my CI processors are on I don’t notice the tinnitus.  When I remove them before bed, I notice the tinnitus but it is much quieter than it used to be before CI surgery.

I hope things improve for your wife.  That must be very annoying.