New user

Elis

Hello everyone. My name is Elis and my daughter Alisa was implanted on 9th of January and the activation date is set on 10th of February. I'm so excited and also confused of what to expect or do after activation. There is so little information in my country regarding this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi Elis and welcome to HearPeers. How old is your daughter and did she get one or two implants.  This is a life changing moment for all of you, the gift of hearing.  Start browsing the forum and see what posts might be of interest.  There is a wealth of information available for you to learn. Please remember, there are no stupid questions and we truly enjoy helping people out.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello everyone. My name is Elis and my daughter Alisa was implanted on 9th of January and the activation date is set on 10th of February. I'm so excited and also confused of what to expect or do after activation. There is so little information in my country regarding this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi Elis,

thought I have been already talked with your spouse - Anita? No matter, welcome to you also as John already said - I am from Croatia, pretty close to your country as well.

It's a complex question because as much as you need competent surgical staff you need also a competent rehabilitator.

Possibly you can ask what the representative of MED-EL can tell you. They usually have a pretty good overview of the situation in particular country.

Hi Elis and welcome to HearPeers. How old is your daughter and did she get one or two implants.  This is a life changing moment for all of you, the gift of hearing.  Start browsing the forum and see what posts might be of interest.  There is a wealth of information available for you to learn. Please remember, there are no stupid questions and we truly enjoy helping people out.

Thank you for the advice and the support John. My daughter is 12 months old and has got only one implant at the left ear.

Hi Elis,

thought I have been already talked with your spouse - Anita? No matter, welcome to you also as John already said - I am from Croatia, pretty close to your country as well.

It's a complex question because as much as you need competent surgical staff you need also a competent rehabilitator.

Possibly you can ask what the representative of MED-EL can tell you. They usually have a pretty good overview of the situation in particular country.

Hi Ivana,

You're right my wife is also a member of hear peers and you have talked together. We will also ask  MED-EL regarding the rehabilitation but I think it will be a little difficult here in Albania since Speech Therapy is new here and there are not to many speech therapists. Except the rehabilitation with professionals I am also striving to gain as much information as I can and take advices from users and professionals  for individual work at home with my daughter.

Thank you for your advice and I would appreciate further advices from anyone who can help me in the first steps of this long journey.

Elis, since your daughter is a year old, you may want to consider the BabyBTE wearing option.  the processor is clipped to her clothing and there is a longer coil cable. It is also known as the ActiveWear.  I wear one when I ride the bicycle and wear a helmet.  best wishes for a great activation experience for all.

post-277-1430259888464_thumb.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Elis,

Hi Ivana,

You're right my wife is also a member of hear peers and you have talked together. We will also ask  MED-EL regarding the rehabilitation but I think it will be a little difficult here in Albania since Speech Therapy is new here and there are not to many speech therapists. Except the rehabilitation with professionals I am also striving to gain as much information as I can and take advices from users and professionals  for individual work at home with my daughter.

Thank you for your advice and I would appreciate further advices from anyone who can help me in the first steps of this long journey.

Hi Elis,

I was at the latest Balkan congress organized by Med-EL and I can't remember any representative from Albania. I have opened again the programme of the meeting but - no there is no one from Albania. I will send you a personal message with possible contact - try to make a contact.

Elis, since your daughter is a year old, you may want to consider the BabyBTE wearing option.  the processor is clipped to her clothing and there is a longer coil cable. It is also known as the ActiveWear.  I wear one when I ride the bicycle and wear a helmet.  best wishes for a great activation experience for all.

Thank you John for your advice and your wishes, I have already purchased the baby bte kit.

Hi Elis,

Hi Ivana,

Hi Elis,

I was at the latest Balkan congress organized by Med-EL and I can't remember any representative from Albania. I have opened again the programme of the meeting but - no there is no one from Albania. I will send you a personal message with possible contact - try to make a contact.

You are always welcome Ivana.

My son started off with the baby BTE in his left ear at 12 months too! We loved that device for that age. When my son would get upset though, he would sometimes pull off the coil and throw it. So, be aware that kids may do that. My son received his implant in his right ear at 5 years old and he is doing well. He wears bilateral Rondos now and loves them! Every child is different, but my son received speech therapy for 9 years.

Congratulations on the start of your journey!

Patrice

My son started off with the baby BTE in his left ear at 12 months too! We loved that device for that age. When my son would get upset though, he would sometimes pull off the coil and throw it. So, be aware that kids may do that. My son received his implant in his right ear at 5 years old and he is doing well. He wears bilateral Rondos now and loves them! Every child is different, but my son received speech therapy for 9 years. Congratulations on the start of your journey! Patrice

Thank you for the advice Patrice.

• 4 months later...

Hello peers,

It has been about 4 months since my daughter's activation and now she looks like she wants to speak making sounds,  she knows her name, she reacts to different sounds sorrounding her, she has started to try to say some words.  But it has been some days she does not like anymore to go to speech therapy,  she is crying all the time there, she doesn't like to work with the speech therapist. These two days she has even started not to babble as she did before. I have checked the speech processor and it's components and everything is ok.  I don't really know what to expect 4 months after activation.  Can anyone give me some advice or information??  I would really appreciate your help.

Hello peers,

It has been about 4 months since my daughter's activation and now she looks like she wants to speak making sounds,  she knows her name, she reacts to different sounds sorrounding her, she has started to try to say some words.  But it has been some days she does not like anymore to go to speech therapy,  she is crying all the time there, she doesn't like to work with the speech therapist. These two days she has even started not to babble as she did before. I have checked the speech processor and it's components and everything is ok.  I don't really know what to expect 4 months after activation.  Can anyone give me some advice or information??  I would really appreciate your help.

Hello peers,

Hello peers,