My 11 year old daughter refuses to use her FM

Naomi

My 11 year old daughter has 2 rondos . since entering school we're having very hard time with her using her FM.

she for sure needs it and gains a lot from it, the thing is she doesn't want to feel different than anybody else, while her rondos are behind the hair and she can feel like everybody else the FM is much more noticeable. we tried several things but nothing helps too much. any ideas on how we can make her feel comfortable with this issue?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Naomi

Is she using the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver in school?  If yes, has she tried wearing the neckloop under a shirt?

There are other remote mics and neckloop receivers which are much smaller but Roger tech is most often used in schools.

Is she hearing any buzzing being on MT?

thanks for your response. she's using a different FM , the chain is under the shirt but the mic is on the teacher and this  attracts attention

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry to hear that @Naomi

Does your daughter have opportunities to interact with other CI users?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Naomi

This remote mic worn by a teacher is very small and discreet.  It works with the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop which is also small and light.

39D463AC-6AC3-4DFC-81ED-04660560EE94.png

8069AF93-8A7A-4F3A-ADCD-7CF37156CE2E.png

• HearPeers Heroes

If you click on the pictures, you can zoom in

she has the Artone but the part the teachers uses is not so small, even if she uses the small mic she still has to put on her her part-the teacher + the fact my daughter has to use the remote control in order to switch to MT mode, so the whole thing is noticeable , i just wish she would have the confidence to feel fine being unique...

• HearPeers Heroes

@Naomi

I hope she can become comfortable with her cochlear implants in time.

She can opt to just stay in MT all day as long as she doesn’t encounter buzzing from electromagnetic interference.  Then she would not need to use her remote.

I purchased SkinIt covers for my remote so it is quite cool looking.  That is an option too.

The Artone Mic is very small.  It would not be very noticeable on a teacher.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

Sorry to hear that @Naomi

Does your daughter have opportunities to interact with other CI users?

she used to but now she really seems not want to have anything with it , she wants to spend her time with her hearing friends only 

the artone we have is most likely a previous version .

just wanted to hear from more parents how they deal with their CI kid's attitude to their being different , living in a hearing society 

Naomi, I grew up with a profound loss, hearing aids and mainstreamed.  I stopped wearing the FM system in 6th Grade and kept up on homework to be prepared for class the next day and sat in the front row.  The technology and interface with hearing aids or cochlear implant without having to wear different equipment is incredible.  My hearing impaired support liaison, who traveled to different schools and school districts in the course of the week, was in touch with my progress and approaching the teachers in classes I was struggling in to get additional support.  Just as you are advocating for her, she will learn to advocate for herself.  

I recommend to watch the documentary "The Listening Project", by Irene Brodsky.  Various local chapters of AG Bell have offered the opportunity to see it in full format.  There are excerpts on youTube as well as the QA session at the first screening.